Usage of an External Monitor - What is Your Setup?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by D-Man18360, Feb 12, 2009.

1. D-Man18360 macrumors member

I'm interested in the idea of a MacBook, but would like to have a much larger monitor when at home.

For those using an external monitor, is it just a case of having the MacBook to the side of the monitor which is directly in front of you? Or do you have the monitor on a stand to prop it up higher?

2. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

3. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

A dual monitor is very productive! I'm a Uni student and it allows for a lot more multi tasking on screen! Documents, web pages, videos, projects.

I tend to have:

Space 1: MSN an random folders documents on my MBP screen, and my external for firefox and a document.

Space 2: Purely for mail and calender, one on each screen.

Space 3: iTunes, VMware fusion, iWeb

Space 4: For a free space environment with limited distraction lol.

Don't forget how expose makes it so easy to find what you are looking for on screen anyway!

4. polaris20 macrumors 68020

[​IMG]

This works well for me. 24" LCD with a the MBP.

5. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I've got my 24" off to the right of my Macbook right now, sitting of 4 beanbag cubes, with a fan pumping air out of under it, and an eternal keyboard and speakers. Works just like a desktop.

6. D-Man18360 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the updates - I'll take a look at that picture thread when I'm at home.

I will admit now that I wasn't even thinking about using an external keyboard - I was so focused on using the MacBook's keyboard and figuring out how to have the screen up and looking at a different screen that I missed the most obvious fix.

Thanks! Maybe I need some coffee this morning to get my brain in gear.

7. Narcosynthesis macrumors member

I have my mb on front of me, using the built in screen and keyboard (with an external bluetooth mouse), then a 19" monitor sitting just above the mb, run dual screen.

This way I have two screens worth of space to work with, plus the usual spaces. At the moment for example I have safari fullscreen on the external monitor, and secondary windows like adium running in the mb screen - this way gives me a big main screen, while still keeping some less visually orientated but still important screens available.
    Moving to photo work, I can have a photo open on the large screen, with the smaller screen hosting the main software and thumbnails so I can easily flick back and forth between chosen images.

The same idea could be setup for countless applications depending on what you use, word processing on the main screen while keeping email open in the lower, keeping reference documents or chat windows open while typing out work or any other combination.

Add in spaces and you have a pretty versatile setup - I can have safari/adium open in one pairing, then itunes open in a separate window I can flick to if I want to change the music, and photo software open in another so I can flick between internet/chat and photo based work.

8. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I just have a 19" next to my MacBook (White - as I need FireWire) and have the MacBook on the desk, it just takes a bit of getting used to looking down as well as right to see the next screen. I tend to keep everything in 4 spaces:
    Space 1 - Adobe CS4 and Twitterific
    Space 2 - Safari, Mail and iTunes
    Space 3 - Pages, Keynote, work stuff
    Space 4 - iMovie HD and GarageBand

9. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

My 22" LCD display off to the right, my MacBook or MacBook Pro on the desk in front of me, depending on which one I'm using (or which one my wife needs). For longer work sessions, I plug in an external mouse.

+1 for the comment above that mentioned increased productivity. This makes a huge difference for me.