"Usage" statistic vs. Mail vs. Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhySoSerious, Aug 4, 2008.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Uh...I thought things weren't supposed to run in the background on the iphone? well, if that's the case, then why does it appear that Mail is constantly running in the background draining my battery?

From a fresh restart, I can open up mail, click the "home" button to "close" it, and then let the phone sit idle...for say 1 hour. Then, i can open up "settings" to view the usage and standby and it shows that they are perfectly in sync with one another (usage = 1 hour; standby = 1 hour). This will continue until I do a hard restart on the phone.

Anyone else find this as well? Anyone aware of any other programs/apps that do this to the phone/battery?

2. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I haven't had that happen to me. Sounds like you've got some kind of issue there. You could try restoring your phone on iTunes to see if it was a software bug or somethign.

3. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

just tried and it seems to still be doing it. the only way to avoid this is either a hard reset to shut down Mail or to hold the "home" button for 7 seconds to do a hard close.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Do you have Push enabled?

3rd party apps aren't allowed to run in the background, but native apps are. If you have Push enabled, maybe that's why your usage and standby are the same?

5. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

That's not happening to me.

You might want to consider doing a restore.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, Mail is supposed to run in the background. So don't worry about it.

But that doesn't explain those numbers. Look at the 'battery usage screenshop' thread. All THOSE people have mail running in the background and their 'usage' vs. 'standby' numbers are different.

Something else is going on.

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Just got my 3G this weekend and this is happening to me (maybe not exactly but close). I did a hard reset as well. I am running exactly the same as with my v1 iPhone (MM etc). The difference is I now have 3G (weak signal in my house). I also turned off GPS as a test but does not seem to be the problem.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

This has happened to me numerous times on my 1st gen iPhone since I updated to 2.0 firmware, but I haven't put my finger on what is causing it. I will just notice that my battery is dead or about to go dead. It will normally last me >4 days of standby in my normal useage (very little phone, no ipod). I have noticed several times lately that it will die after only a day or so, and I always though until now it was whenever I enabled push. I will keep playing with it to see if I can see some pattern.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Put it on EDGE for a day and see if it fixes it.

I've found that 3G uses more power, but it's worth it.

However, I've found that a WEAK 3G signal wastes a lot of power since it's always losing the connection and then looking for it again. I leave 3G off at work because I am in a basement and have poor reception of 3G there.

When I'm outside and have 2+ bars on 3G, I use it. But if I'm in an area that dips down to 1 bar or less, I put it back on EDGE.

Let us know if that does anything for you.

10. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

could it be the ipod app running? ...or does the ipod stop draining battery power once you pause the music and hit the home button?