Usage times = standby time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ideal.dreams, Sep 27, 2016.

1. ideal.dreams, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016

ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

For the past two days, I've noticed that my usage time is identical to my standby time for my iPhone 7+. The battery seems to be going quickly throughout the day so it's got me thinking that something is constantly running on my phone somehow that's eating away the battery. I pulled it off the charger this morning around 9 AM at 100%. I've barely used my phone today - some texts, checked email, and social media. No more than an hour worth of usage tops. But the battery is already at 69% by 4 PM. Does that sound right?

My phone says I've used it for over 6 hours so far today, with a matching standby time. This can't be right. I've restarted the phone twice and this issue still persists.

Anyone know if this is a glitch with the phone, with iOS 10, or with something somehow running in the background 24/7?

Solution: I removed all exchange accounts from my phone and charged it back to 100%. The usage time is now different from the standby time and my battery is not draining as quickly.

2. michael9891 macrumors 6502a

Even with apps running in the background, it shouldn't have an identical usage and standbye time. I'd ring Apple and see if they can run a diagnostic on the phone. Or make a genius appointment if a store is close by.

3. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

It seems that this is a common issue with no set in stone solution. I've read that it could be email accounts going rogue and pulling data all the time, so I've deleted two exchange accounts and hard reset the phone. I'm charging it back up to 100% to see if that remediates. Only have my iCloud account active now. Fingers crossed.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Remember those often popups asking you "send notifications blah-blah" stop saying yes and say NO, don't bother me!

5. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I actually always choose no. I can't stand when a game asks to send me notifications. What do you need to notify me about?

6. 7roca7 macrumors member

7roca7

The first thing i did was to reset setting's. Then i went into Notification and turning off both FB and mail radio buttons for showing on locked screen. When you turn on your cell it will still show how many notification's on the app. I also noticed video in 4K will drain the battery quick.

7. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

The issue has been resolved. It seems removing all exchange accounts from my device fixed the problem. My usage time is now accurate and different from the standby time. Looks like there was a glitch where the accounts were constantly checking for new emails, even though the settings say to do otherwise.