USB 1.0 or 2.0?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jemeinc, Apr 21, 2007.

1. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

How do I tell if I have USB 1.0 or USB 2.0? The specific mac I'm referring to is an eMac 1.25 GHZ- but in general how do I go about finding out? Thanks..

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Apple Menu > About This Mac, then click More Info... that will open up System Profiler. USB should be in the left column under hardware. It should list the version number.

Checking Mactracker, looks like you should have 2.0

3. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

It's got 3 USB2 ports

2 USB1 ports on the keyboard

4. jemeinc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mine doesn't list the version #.. hmmm.. How about a 1.0GHZ eMac?

5. jemeinc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, how did you find that out? What about a 1GHZ eMac?.. So if the 1.25 GHZ eMac is USB 2.0 it's safe to assume my G5iMac is 2.0 as well?.. Thanks..

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If the eMac has DDR memory, it should have USB 2.0 -- since that should have been part of the I/O update it go when it switched from the old SDR PowerMac chipset to the DDR Intrepid chipset used in the iMac/PowerBook/iBook.

Edit: Thinking too far, the switch from SDR to DDR noted the PowerMac to iMac chipset switch and thus the updated I/O.

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Plug a USB 2 device into your USB port you want to test and go to the USB section of System Profiler. Find the device you plugged in and click on it. It will tell you the speed it's running at.

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

All G5 iMacs have USB 2...you can check on each machine using the System Profiler app (in the Utilities folder, but also accessible thru Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info...). If you don't have direct access to the Mac in question, you can download Mactracker, which has a database of all the info. I believe there's also a website that has the same info on it.