Usb 1.0 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthzilla, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Darthzilla macrumors member

I have an 17 inch flatpanel iMac...it kicks much butt.

I'm runng 4.11 and my ipod works fine with usb 1.0 ....its just slow, but I barely use it for movies....and i dont midn waiting a minite for an album to upload.

I thought i remember reading that iphones WILL work with older USB ports, but it will be slow...this wont bother me as i probably wont have songs or movies on it ( I just want the internet and a phone )

Am I safe to this all of the above ?

2. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

not too sure what you mean.
    but im pretty sure the iPhone will cater for 2.0 and 1.0/.1

besides, failing that, just use a bluetooth adapter and transfer things via a virtual serial/ USB port.

3. Corbet macrumors member

You can afford an iPhone but you don't have access to USB 2.0, which has been out for 5+ years?

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Dude, if you have a computer with USB 1.0 (more likely 1.1), you should REALLY hit eBay and find something newer. You can find G4 Mac Minis for about $200. You may even find some older eMacs or iMacs for about that price, although I'm not sure.

5. kingicon1 macrumors newbie

I just learned this in class!

Officially, you need a USB 2.0 port.

however, like most things usb, it will work on a 1.0 port, but may not function properly. like with moving larger files(video)... sometimes it wants to move faster but cant.. so things get backed up and corrupted.

6. DreamPod macrumors 65816

It's fun reading this post, remembering the speech when the iPod was first announced, and Steve Jobs made a BIG deal about how it used firewire because that was so much faster than USB...

7. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

usb 2.0 is faster and also provides power, so i dnt think usb 1.0 ca charge the iphone.

i dont have 1.0 so wouldn't really know, but its an 'educated' guess:p

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't recall the launch (I was a Windows idiot back then), but I remember that advantage of FireWire. Of course it's still faster if you have 800, but I think its only advantage now is it streams, which is necessary for cameras. I can't believe how much stuff comes with a USB port now. Sure beats the old days of that dumb PS/2 connector for mice & keyboards.

9. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

i was thinking the exact same couple days back, i was amazed at how many things have USB ports, my tv, router, sat box, its like everywhere.

10. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Then they decided to dominate the entire MP3 market, so they added USB2.0 so windows users could use it, since many of those machines didn't have a firewire port. Then they dropped the firewire support all together. :(

When I got my first iPod (3G) I had an IBM thinkpad that only had USB 1.0 on it. I had to get a Firewire PCI card to put in the computer so I could connect the iPod to it.

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Not possible to chuck in any kind of expansion card into the G4 iMacs?

Is there any such thing as a Firewire to USB converter?

12. Darthzilla thread starter macrumors member

hmmm not many answers....though It seems that it will work. Just be slower.

Also USB 1.1 does charge ( at least it does charge my ipod ) Trasfers are just slower.

And Honestly this machine is awesome....If I get an iphone ( and with the rumors of them being 199.99 thats a price point thats not crazy )

13. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

USB 1.x provides power also. I'm realy hoping the 3g iPhone works with 1.1 as that's all I have on my [gulp] pc. :eek: