Usb 1.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GLPalinkas, Jul 4, 2007.

1. GLPalinkas macrumors newbie

Just for information, I picked up my new iPhone yesterday at the Tampa Apple store (4 gig....the 8 gig were out of stock and I just couldn't wait after I actually saw it....BTW...my wife has a new phone as soon as I can find an 8 gig somewhere).

I had several hours to kill waiting for a plane arrival at Tampa so I decided to try to activate it right at the store. I used my old, loved and trusty 667 MHz Ti G4 laptop in the store. That computer only has USB 1.1 and I didn't know if it would work (and neither did the genius bar staff) as the minimum specs state USB 2.0. I also had already upgraded to 10.4.10 and iTunes 7.3 in anticipation of getting my iPhone.

Activation went well and I was functional after about 8 minutes through the process. I did have to rebuild my permissions because initially when I plugged in the cradle and phone iTunes crashed and I just got the spinning beach ball of death for 10 minutes.

Data transfer went like this:

Slow but not as slow as one would think. I didn't know how long it would take so I only transferred 36 songs (125 mb) and it took less than 5 minutes. I then loaded all of my contacts, over 600 in about 3 minutes. It went so well I tried a 30 minute movie (ripped in Handbrake) and about 36 iPhoto photos and they also went faster than expected at about 6 minutes each. You have to make a separate play list and move songs to that to sync with the iPhone.

Conclusion - still a very useable product on a very old system using USB 1.1 ......I don't think I will try Pirates of the Caribbean unless I do it overnight.....LOL.

I wish they had built in a firewire driver or whatever they needed to allow firewire 400 so I can sync it faster but I can live with what I have until I get a new MacBook Pro when Leopard comes out.

So there it is. Just thought someone out there just might be in the same boat as me.....

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Quite a paradox using a crusty old laptop to activate an "early adopter" high tech iPhone. Glad it worked out. You are going to love the new MBP. I'd wait for Leopard too if I was in your predicament.