USB 2.0 Hub Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JimmyDThing, Nov 12, 2007.

1. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

I want to get a hub for my printer and external USB drive to plug into my AEBS (yeah, still waiting for firmware, but it'll come :) )

I'm thinking it would be wisest to go with one that won't waste another wall outlet. But I have two questions:

First... is this a good idea? Or would I be better off buying one with a plug.

Second... any recommendations on brands or models?

Thanks!

2. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I do recommend to get a hub with an external power supply...it's definitely worth it.
    I own two hubs that I use.
    a Belkin 4 port USB hub
    and a 7 port hub by Dr. Bott (called T7)...
    both are great and go wonderfully with my white MB.

I would recommend the Dr. Bott hub more though...it's just good quality and design in my opinion.

3. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I used the same Belkin hub as byakuya for about a year without any problems until I wanted to mount it (the thing is very light) on my desk. There was no way of going about it without shattering the thing into a million pieces.

I now have 3 Vakoss TC-212-AS daisy chained together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (picture taken before I got my 3rd one mounted)

4. JimmyDThing thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your speedy and useful replies guys... I'm pretty clueless when it comes to USB and to hubs. But what are the advantages of using one that you have to plug in over ones that you don't?

5. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

well all usb devices use power and some use that power from the usb port. so the hub must be able to supply all the power needed either from the usb port that it plugs into the computer with, or from being plugged in to its own power.

6. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

an external power source is especially useful if you are going to connect some power consuming devices to your hub (ipod, external harddrive (2,5), etc.)

in my opinion it is better to have a hub with power supply at home because you never know what kind of hardware you are going to hook up to the hub.

7. JimmyDThing thread starter macrumors regular

Well I know that I'll only be using mine for a printer and an external hard drive because that's all that AEBS supports. But neither the printer(s) nor the drive(s) are power consuming.

8. dborja macrumors 6502a

I use the Belkin hub designed for the Mac Mini. It stacks very nicely with the AEBS...