usb 2.0 pci card and fan

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by trevorreid, Jun 7, 2008.

1. trevorreid macrumors newbie

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

1. That card wouldn't work in a Mac Pro because it's a 32-bit PCI card and not a PCI Express card (the slots are completely different). To answer your other question, a PCI Express USB card would operate no faster in a 16-lane slot than it would in the 4-lane slot. In fact, that's a total waste of a 16x slot that you could be using for a second graphics card or a hardware RAID card later on.

What USB devices are connecting? You'll probably do just as well with a USB hub if you need more ports, unless some of those devices are hard drives (which really should be running in Firewire anyway).

A card like this works with a Mac Pro.

2. In my experience, the stock fans in the Mac Pro do a more than adequate job at keeping everything cool. Keeping a system cool is a lot more than just adding fans - the internal design of the enclosure and how it distributes the air is also very important.

3. aibo macrumors 6502

chunk gave great answers. i was too lazy to type all that.

4. trevorreid thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks very much...at the moment i have a wd drive thats usb 2.0 but i would love to make it firewire 800. its a 7200rpm 500g drive that im using for time machine. Can i just get a firewire 800 cable and plug it in or do i need to get a new drive? Can a 7200rpm drive take advantage of firewire 800?