USB 2.0 PCI card Crashing computer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sphyxKat, Jul 2, 2007.

1. sphyxKat macrumors newbie

I've looked around on this site and found users with similar problems..
    I have a 1.25 Ghz G4 PowerMac. Recently, I bought an elgato Eyetv hybrid and a USB 2.0 PCI card to plug it into..

Firstly - whenever I opened up the software, it would play TV as it would normally, then crash (randomly.. sometimes 5 minutes of play, sometimes 5 hours). I couldn't really deduce the problem until I removed the EyeTV hybrid. It worked fine for a couple of days until it started crashing again when I used safari/firefox. I went ahead and reseated the ram.. did every hardware check imaginable, until I found that it was my USB 2.0 PCI card.

From the other posts i've read - people have had an issue with sleeping the cpu / USB 2.0 pci card.. but i've found no such ties. I've even tried 3 different USB 2.0 PCI cards to figure it out.. but still have the same problem. Sometimes it's fine.. sometimes it crashes (a full system freeze) There has otherwise been no problems with the computer since i got it a couple years back. Any Ideas?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hate to ask the obvious but... What brand(s) of USB card and does the manufacturer state Mac compatibility?

3. sphyxKat thread starter macrumors newbie

It's SIG usb 2.0 PCI card, and yes it stated it was Mac compatible. No drivers necessary. On another post - some guy said that he fixed his sleep crash issue with a kernel debugger? --

4. dustboy macrumors member

looks like you've answered my question..I just bought an eyetv hybrid not knowing that it required USB 2.0. I thought about getting a PCI card to add usb 2.0, but the system requirements of the eyetv state that it needs "built-in USB 2.0".

I thought, eh, what do they know, maybe I'll try it, but since you've tried 3+ different cards (different brands??) I'll learn from others trials..

BTW..Whatever happened to FireWire? that stuff worked great!