USB 2.0 required?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by luckystephens, Jun 28, 2007.

1. luckystephens macrumors member

luckystephens

From the Apple iPhone Technical Specs page:
    My friend has an old iMac updated to 10.4.10 but only has USB 1.0 ports. Is the iPhone backwards compatible or does he have to wait until he gets a new computer with USB 2.0 ports?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Apple lists the same USB 2 spec for the iPod and they currently work with USB 1 ports so I believe it will work.

3. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

i hope its compatible with usb 1.0 because i have an older PowerMac G4 that im planning to use with this iphone that is updated to 10.4 as well...but if not i will go and buy my self a usb 2.0 card to go into the PowerMac G4... but i dont want to... lol... it should work tho with 1.0... i currently use my 5.5generation ipod with usb 1.0 and if you said that the requirements for that say usb 2.0 as well then im pretty sure we are safe :)

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

USB 2 is backwards compatible with USB 1.1 but it will be slow...

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Just a lot slower. A friend of mine filled his 80GB video iPod with 20-30GB of music from a 12" PB with 1.1 ports.

6. Darthzilla macrumors member

I have 1.1 and Im so used to it....

I doubt I'll even use my phone as an MP3 player...maybe i'll load a movie or two on there...but really I just want the phone/internet capabilites

IF Apple had only continued firewire support :(