USB 2.0 USAP compatible?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by maskingtape123, Nov 30, 2014.

1. maskingtape123 macrumors newbie

As above. Intend to get an external HDD enclosure that has USB 3.0 and USAP supported (USAP more expensive). I'm using an iMac 2011 which doesn't come with USB 3.0. However some articles stated that USAP will work for USB 2.0 as well. Is that so? If not probably I'll save the cash and get the normal ones instead. Thanks!

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I think you mean UASP? USB 3 is backwards compatible period. Whether the enclosure supports UASP, or not, does not break the backwards compatibility.

In a nutshell, yes, it will work.

3. maskingtape123 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It definitely speeds up USB 3 transfer speeds. I am not sure if it speeds up USB 2 speeds, because I have never tested this and I have no Macs with USB 2 to try it out with my UASP enclosures.

5. maskingtape123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your advice. I guess I'll just go ahead with it, shouldn't do any harm I hope (unless compatibility issue). Maybe in future if upgrade to newer iMac at least this still can work.:)

6. rpmurray macrumors regular

7. nambuccaheadsau, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018

nambuccaheadsau macrumors 65816

nambuccaheadsau

8. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

When i had a 2011 iMac, a thunderbolt 1 drive (SSD drive in a delock thunderbolt shell) worked great as a boot drive.

If you upgrade to a newer mac with usb 3, they all have UASP support, so if you are buying a new drive anyway it may help to have a "future proof one" depending on the costs and your needs.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

OP:

There's nothing to worry about.

UASP will work just fine with USB2.

It's "backward compatible" and it will be "there, ready and waiting" when the time comes to "move up" to a faster Mac...

10. rpmurray macrumors regular

The thing I was wondering about is if you would be able to see both drives over USB 2.0 using something like the OWC Dual Drive Dock. The USB 3 variant is inexpensive while the Thunderbolt one is quite pricy. I have a couple of 2011 iMacs which only support USB 2. I know the iMacs have Thunderbolt ports but I'm cheap.

11. jerwin macrumors 68020

hmm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_Attached_SCSI

If the hardware, drivers, or firmware aren't there, the drive falls back to using the "Bulk-Only Transport" protocol.