USB 2.0 vs Firewire 800

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Anthony A, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Anthony A macrumors member

I recently purchased a Seagate Freeagent Go For Mac. It's a portable HD with a FW 800/USB 2.0 combo. When I purchased this it was to use with Super Duper and Carbon Copy Cloner to put my clones on and speed up the process compared to using USB. Well I'm not getting any speed increase at all. The time it takes to perform full back ups are the same as they are when I use USB. The drive seems to be working fine other wise. Runs a little hot compared to my other Seagate drive that is USB only. Could the drive be defective enough to make it run at USB speeds but work normally other wise or could it be the actual FW port on my MBP? Is there something else I'm over looking?

2. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Whether you are using USB or firewire, the write speed of the HDD is the same, so data can only transfer so fast.

3. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

that wont matter in this case.

Use Firewire 800. thats the whole reason i got the external Drive that i did.

its sexy fast.:p

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Fw is always better than USB for alot of reasons. Even if you were to compare usb2.0 and fw400 you'd find the fw connection better.

5. Anthony A thread starter macrumors member

Well in my case FW is not better than USB. Something is going on.

FW drive may be defective.
    Seagate may be misleading about this drives speed.
    The port on my machine may be defective.
    Maybe something I'm over looking.

Any suggestions on what to look for or try?

6. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

What are the specs of your machine and the specs of the HD? I'm guessing one of them is slow enough that you won't notice a whole lot of difference.

7. Anthony A thread starter macrumors member

I have a MBP. 2 GB DDR 3 1067 MHz of RAM. 250 GB HD. Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz processor

The portable HD is 320 GB at 5400rpm. Combo drive FW 800/ USB 2.0. It's a Seagate Free Agent Go For Mac.
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/freeagent/freeagent_go_mac/