Usb 2 Card for G4 Xserve

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by max¥¥, Jul 31, 2012.

1. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

Hey, i am looking to get a usb 2 card for my G4 Xserve (Orig DP model, pci-x slots, running osx server 10.5.8 ) since two of my external hard drives are usb and usb 1.1 speeds suck. I tried two via based cards, both of which are a no go (card is seen by osx, but no attached devices work) and a card with a new NEC chipset (which prevented the server from powering on). I was advised that i need a card with a NEC chipset, so i guess a older one will work (but i have seen a post else ware that suggests this may not be the case)

So does anyone know of a card which will work in my xserve?

thanks

2. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Anything with an NEC chipset will work seamlessly. Just confirm the biggest chip on the top side has NEC printed on it.

3. max¥¥ thread starter macrumors 6502a

are you sure? one of the cards i tried is a NEC chipset, server wouldn't even power on (My '01 quicksilver would power on with the card, not sure if osx would se it though)

4. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I have 3 different cards all with NEC chipsets and they all work. If you want to be 100% sure then just search for "USB 2 PCI mac" on ebay and buy one pre-tested for Mac.

There are 2 basic designs... a 5 port and a 6 port with one of them being internal on both. The 6 port for some reason tend to have more mass success on Macs and I have 2 slightly different 6 port cards in each of my Sawtooth.

5. max¥¥ thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, may try a six port one then (the one that didn't work was a 5 port one)