usb 2 firewire adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zoran, Nov 1, 2008.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

I have a PowerbookG4 that has 2 usb ports. When trying to connect an external 2.5" HDD it uses both of the existing USB ports leaving me no ports free. I was thinking to use a USB 2 Firewire adapter so i can plug in the drive in the Firewire port. Is there such an adapter and has anyone ever used it this way?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I would say, get a FW/USB case for the drive.

I wasn't looking for a bus powered solution, so I just picked up the $29.95 case from CompUSA.

Edit: probably could have saved some money, by ordering online -- but it was easier to spend 10 minutes picking it up at the time.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

would this adapter say let us use the macbook air superdrive??

isnt the only reason we cant on most usb ports is due to power issues? wouldnt the firewire adater solve that issue?

4. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

If you could suggest me a 2.5" enclosure FW/USB for PATA drives id be obligated! ;)

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

if a true USB-> FW adapter existed it would make it simple to do. Unfortunately there has already been a bunch of research done on this with the death of FW on MacBooks, but in spite of a couple of little websites who claim they have done that, far more evidence has surfaced that has pointed out because of vastly different transfer specifications it simply cannot occur (at least with a simple little adapter). it is not as simple as making a FW800-->FW 400 cable for instance in which 3 pins on the 800 end are not connected to the 400 end- it is dealing with completely unique data transfer protocols.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

You can find 5 that would use a 2.5" IDE/PATA drive mechanism and provide USB 2 and FW 400 external connection at the following link: newegg.com enclosures, and probably additional ones at OWC.

7. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020