USB 2 or 3 or both for iphone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metsjetsfan, Jun 18, 2012.

1. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Sorry am an old school wired sync guy. Just wondering is it possible for apple to make an iphone with both usb 2 and 3 compatability with the new iphone? Does this exist? Or will it have to be apple propreitary tech?

2. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

The current iPhones all come with a USB 2 compatible cord. Does it run at full USB 2 speed? I don't know. Will they upgrade it to USB 3? Only if the parts are small enough.

3. barredfreak macrumors 6502

If Apple can make two USB ports that can handle USB 2 and 3 (MBP Retina), I think the new iPhone should be compatible with both of them.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I would not have previously guessed that the new iPhone would support USB 3, but USB 3's inclusion in the new Macbooks has me rethinking that. They very well might include it now.

5. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I've yet to see a USB 3.0 device that didn't work with USB 2.0. I believe backwards compatibility is required per spec. So I do not think it should be an issue with next iPhone (unless they do something drastic, like Thunderbolt)

6. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

I doubt thunderbolt since pcs but wont be surprised. But usb 3 would be interesting. I know most people may not care due to the convenience of "cord cutting" and just care that it charges.

7. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I am pretty sure they will. Now that MacBook airs support usb3 shows apple is looking at the technology.

Of course it would be backwards compatible though.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'm not sure why someone would vote this question down.

The spec doesn't concern me as long as the iPhone syncs faster. Previous threads speculated it's the speed of the memory, not the interface.

9. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

I believe USB3 allows for slightly higher power output, so it might use that but the iPhone doesn't even come close to maxing out a USB2 bus so there's no point in using USB3 for that.

10. cynics macrumors G3

Since they don't use the through put I'd rather them follow the competition with MHL. However use Apples proprietary 30 pin plug instead of micro USB. There are a few TV's that can charge the phone, and through this tech the HDTV's remote can be used to change things on the phone. I'd find that useful for watching media at friends or presentations at work, less junk to carry with me anyway.

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I think they may stay with USB 2.0 since they are pushing Wi-Fi syncing more than anything (which I use, as it is more convenient than plugging it into my MBA)