USB 2 vs Wifi ac sync. Which one is faster in 2016?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by sanke1, Jan 19, 2016.

1. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Now that iPhone 6S, iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro support dual ac streams with maximum bandwidth of 866 Mbps, does USB 2 which has a max bandwidth of 480 Mbps still sync apps and songs faster than Wifi?

I am asking this because I have Air 2 and 6S in house and both support 866 Mbps wireless ac speeds. Apple is being adamant to NOT support USB 3 speeds over lightning port and even those lightning cables are pathetic USB 2 which are ultimately overpriced.

I know that there are wifi overheads and all other things but has Wifi sync overtaken USB 2 as a reliable and faster method to sync our data? It took me 1 hr to sync all my songs via that USB cable. I'm t's 2016 FFS.

If the benefits are tangible, I will upgrade my old router to ac router. Can anyone shed light on this?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

First, I believe it is known that the Flash or Bus speed used in all iPhones and iPads (sans Pro) are slower than 480Mbps. So practically it won't matter. Also ac WiFi will only be faster than USB 2 if the receiving device is in the same room as the router.

3. sanke1 thread starter macrumors 65816

sanke1

You are highly wrong.

Apple uses NVmE protocol for internal NAND. Anandtech found out that it has 402 MBPS seq read speed and 163 MBPS seq write speed.
    402 x 8 / 1024 = 3.14 Gbps read speed
    163 x 8 / 1024 = 1.27 Gbps write speed

They are clearly higher than USB 2's therotical speeds. USB 2's actual speed is 30 MBPS read and write.
    30 x 8 / 1024 = 0.25 Gbps

2 stream wireless has 866 Mbps theoretical speed (Mbps with a small b)
    866 / 1024 = 0.84 Gbps

But even wireless ac has lower actual speed than that. So my question is "Does actual wireless ac's speed better than actual usb 2's speed?" Provided both the router and the iPhone are in the same room and within few feet of each other.

Source: Anandtech

4. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Speed is one thing, but there's reliability. When Apple announced wifi syncing way back when, I immediately put it to use. Yet today it is still unreliable.
    When I connect a USB cable on my iPhone and Mac, it is always recognized right away, and syncing would start properly.
    On Wifi, there are more times when iTunes never find the iPhone. It's a hit or miss. I even have had my syncing corrupted, resulting in deleted apps keep reappearing, and music not being synced properly. It's such a headache just to make it work that I went back to USB.

5. sanke1 thread starter macrumors 65816

sanke1

Good point but what about sync speed when things are working correctly?
    I hate to sync my 128 GB iPad Air 2 as it takes 1-2 hrs to fill in my data.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I have a 300Mbps Internet Connection with an Apple Extreme AC router, and USB syncing is still much faster. I restored from backup on my iPhone 6s and iPad Air 2. Each have about 30GB of data. Did one via WiFi sync and one via USB sync. iPhone 6s (USB) finished about an hour faster than my iPad Air 2 (WiFi).

I did this because I was curious as well if there has been any improvement since WiFi Sync was introduced. My internet connection is 10X faster, have an AC router now and the devices are so much faster. I completed this experiment about a week ago.

7. Act3 macrumors 65816

What does internet speed have to do with it? Are you talking about restoring a backup from the cloud?

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Internet speed doesn't have to deal with anything, but I figured I would mention it anyway.

Backup was through iTunes on both. One wired, one wireless. All variables were held constant expect the device itself.

9. Act3 macrumors 65816

Thanks, I wouldn't have expected that much of a difference. My air 2 and my 6s connect to my Airport Extreme at 866 Mb/s. Is the device you are syncing with connected via wifi as well or is it hard wired to router?

10. Paco II macrumors 65816

iTunes backup restores can be done wirelessly? I thought those had to be done plugged in.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

My iMac is wirelessly connected to my AC router.

After the "restore" you can unplug it and just let the content, such as apps, music, movies and photos sync wirelessly. After the pop-up that says "Restoring ___ Time Remaining" disappears, your fine to unplug, assuming sync over WiFi is already checked.

12. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

i sync all my stuff over wifi anyway. its the comfort and simpleness of it. no cables, no clutter. speed doesnt matter. i sit at my imac 5k for hours anyway

13. sanke1 thread starter macrumors 65816

sanke1

Everyone is missing my initial question. Please do not go offtopic. It is just wifi sync to local pc/iMac. I am not asking to restore icloud backup or speed of internet connection.

14. deckard666 macrumors 6502

deckard666

I am keen to know the answer too....