USB 3.0 Blu-ray Drive for a rMBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ReddestDream, Jul 4, 2012.

1. ReddestDream macrumors member

I have a Retina MacBook Pro coming in (hopefully! :rolleyes:) a few weeks, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a USB 3.0 Blu-ray drive for it.

I know of several USB 2.0 drives that people have said are compatible with the native software in Mac OS X for burning and reading (not movies!), but, considering USB 3.0 is a new feature on Macs, I haven't found any reviews for USB 3.0 Blu-ray drives that mention Macs.

Is a USB 3.0 drive worth the risk, or should I just stick with the USB 2.0 ones for now? Does anyone have any suggestions for a particular drive?

Thanks! ;)

2. Morien macrumors member

Usb2 covers all but the fastest of speeds for bluray reading and writing, so keep that in mind when you are looking at prices. no risk in getting a usb3 drive though, but I have no recommendations, sorry.

3. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

If some extra speed is what you're looking for, be prepared to spend about 150-200 for USB 3.0

Blu ray

4. biohead macrumors 6502

May even be cheaper to buy an internal BD drive, and then buy a USB 3.0 enclosure for it?

5. ReddestDream thread starter macrumors member

My biggest issue with drives like this is that they are heavy and require external power supplies.

This was more up my alley, but, of course, it's only USB 2.0. :D

Any recommendations for drives and/or enclosures?