usb 3.0 enclosure for MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by paulinbognor, Jul 22, 2012.

1. paulinbognor macrumors member

Hi
    Not strictly a MBA post but it is to use with my MBA. I'm trying to find a USB 3.0 drive enclose for an SSD that is preferably a SATA6 enclosure to make the most of the SSD's speed but I've found it very hard going finding specific information. many of the enclosures simply don't list the actually sped instead quoting the 5Gbs of the usb 3.0 connection.

Can anyone out there recommend an actual enclosure they've purchased and used with good results?

I would have loved a thunderbolt version but seems like no-one is even making empty thunderbolt enclosures yet :(

2. mds1256 macrumors regular

I was looking for the same but couldnt find a SATA 6gbps one. Just settled for a Seagate GoFlex USB 3 interface cable.

Run this with an Crucial M4 SSD and getting read and write speeds of around 250mb/s which I am lead to believe is what SATA 3gbps tops out at.

I got the cable for £20 (from ebay) so if there is an enclosure that comes out that supports sata 6gbps then I will upgrade from the cable to the enclosure.

3. paulinbognor thread starter macrumors member

looks like a good option, shame the thunderbolt version is 5 times the price and HUGE!

4. pfjellman macrumors regular

pfjellman

5. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

just want to point out that is a 3.5 inch enclosure not a 2.5 inch ssd compatible enclosure.

6. pfjellman, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

pfjellman macrumors regular

pfjellman

Yes, this is a 3.5" enclosure. I didn't notice the OP was looking for a SSD one, my apologies. I believe Vantec makes one of those as well. I'd trust it to work equally well.