usb 3.0, esata, blu ray, etc.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sbb155, Oct 8, 2011.

1. sbb155 macrumors 6502

With Mr. Jobs gone, will we finally be able to get these add ons? I have heard from friends at apple that he was against these modern technologies, and I am looking forward to some changes in which we can get these things. TB is fine, but not well penetrated, and I use macs and pcs, so it would be nice to have these additions. They are of minimal cost so there is a real window here for the apple leadership to modernize these areas. This is one area that a leadership change is welcome, so hopefully we can see them.

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

USB 3.0 - Ivy Bridge most likely
    eSATA - never
    Blu-Ray - never

This isn't about Steve it's about realizing what technologies are good to have and what technologies should be skipped.

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I tend to agree with the OP, though I want Blu-ray I doubt we'll get that but seriously, eSATA is awesome. I had my iMac modified to support the eSATA connection but the OS or firmware doesn't support hot swapping but that's ok. The flexibility to test any OS on a full speed SATA connection is outstanding. With the locked down nature of iMac systems eSATA makes perfect sense, especially if you want to run windows on a separate disk.

I even took a boot drive from my old ASUS G73 and connected it to the iMac. Booted right up. I was shocked. Now I can free up that Windows partition on my internal 2TB drive, run any OS externally and not have to open the iMac again. If my 2TB fails when the warranty is up I can just use external disks. They is no real reason not to just include an eSATA port on the iMac. It would make one of the best computing values even better.

Cheers,

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

eSATA = poor connector, no power and now usurped by faster and more flexible Thunderbolt and USB 3.0.

It wasn't hard to see the short shelf life of eSATA.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

You're thinking OS X only. There are a lot of Mac users that require Windows for some functions and would like to use our Macs. Windows does not boot from anything other than SATA / eSATA. There are also a ton of external housings that have the eSATA connector and can use USB for power. It would be very easy for Apple to add eSATA to the iMac and there is no good reason not to.

They finally added HDMI to the mini and no other Mac so they can give iMac users eSATA.

Cheers,

6. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

i think eSata is a just a stop gap to bigger and better things. Plus all of the times I have had to use it, its very finicky. Now USB3 would be nice only because of the market penetration of that already. Heck, I went looking for an external FW800 drive tonight and there were about 4 to choose from. Ended up with a 1tb triple interface for $109 but it took me a while to find that one. I guess everyone thought FW was a Mac only technology.

As far as blueray, cant see it. At least for me I dont watch movies on my mac at home. I have an aTV so thats where I watch them, otherwise its on my phone at work and very rarely on my macbook. It just still seems odd to watch movies on my iMac. However a BD-R burner would be nice since I have gotten into video editing now.

7. xiaomo macrumors newbie

8. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I can see usb 3.0 on future Macs but not Blu-ray and eSata.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Blu-ray requires code that runs in ring 0, where a mistake can bring down the whole system. The designers of blu-ray were terrified that the someone would simply manage to sneak in and grab the unencrypted video stream, so they required that the code would run in ring 0.

10. stroked Suspended

stroked

I would like to see USB3. TB will catch on like FW did.

11. sbb155 thread starter macrumors 6502

this was an area that Mr Jobs was clearly a little off... usb 3, why not include it? I think his medical problems probably impaired his judgement in the last few years on this issue. Hopefully these decisions will be overturned. No one gets it right all the time.

12. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I agree with your desire to have more options but I think you ascribe too much to a single person. Granted Jobs had a personal dislike for optical media, especially Blu-ray but Apple in general makes so many compromises to make everything thin and stylish that something has to give. As a company they don't care about providing something for everyone, just something for the 90+% who don't care.

Perhaps you're right, there will be a loosening of the technological option reins at Apple allowing for greater design flexibility but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Cheers,

13. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Intel does not yet include USB 3 in their chipsets. Apple prefers to use Intel standard chipset. USB 3 will be in the chipsets in IVY Bridge in 2012.

Any computer that currently has usb 3 capabilities uses a third-party add-on chip.

Blaming these things on Jobs shows your ignorance about computers and the adoption of new technologies.

I'd like usb 3 also, but from a business and support point of view, I understand why Apple is holding off until Intel includes it as standard.

14. stroked Suspended

stroked

Pardon my ignorance, but is TB on the standard Intel chipset?

15. panzer06, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

No, just the custom chipset Apple buys from them. Though I suppose the capability is built in to Intel's firmware whereas USB3 isn't yet.

Doesn't really matter either way. Apple does what Apple does and there's little anyone can do about it.

Cheers,

16. EricT43 macrumors regular

I can't see USB 3 coming anytime soon, since a high-bandwidth peripheral connection directly competes with Thunderbolt, and then who is going to buy the $1000 displays and pay $400 for a 1TB disk drive?

17. stroked Suspended

stroked

Apple did allow USB2, when they were still pushing FW.

18. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I suppose the question is, when will blu ray become as widely used and accepted as DVD's. At some point it has to. But not yet. As said before, a blu ray burner would be fantastic.