USB 3.0 ext HDD recommendation

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by insimbi, Sep 29, 2013.

1. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

External drives are essentially the same. Get USB 3, then whatever is cheapest, as I've read.

3. Giuly, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Which would be the 3TB Toshiba Canvio for $99.

However, if you have two Macs, chances are that one of them doesn't support USB 3.0 (-2012), so it's either FireWire800, Gigabit Ethernet or Thunderbolt. The LaCie d2 v3 with both FW800 and USB 3.0 would be a shortcut, but it's definitively not cheap.

You may also want to connect to the hard drive from both Macs without plugging and unplugging a cable, which is where Ethernet comes in handy.

The 3TB WD MyBook Live with Gigabit Ethernet and the MyBook Studio for Mac actually cost the same, merely $30 more than the Toshiba - one might work better for what he's trying to do, the other has a nicer looking enclosure and is faster: Pick one.

4. in4fun macrumors regular

I'm leaning towards the My Book Essential 3.0 - 3 TB drive which has it's own power source.

Does it make a difference if I choose an external USB 3 with or without it's own power source?

5. in4fun macrumors regular

ok - I found the answer

a USB drive with it's own power source is considerably faster

6. g4cube macrumors 6502a

What you really mean to say is that a 3TB desktop, self-powered drive using a 3.5" HDD mechanism will be faster than a 2TB or smaller, bus-powered drive using a 2.5" HDD mechanism.

The performance has nothing to do with whether drive is self-powered or bus powered, but rather the type of HDD used.

A bus powered SSD based external drive, for example, will easily exceed the performance of a self-powered HDD based external drive.

7. in4fun macrumors regular

ok, thanks for clarifying this.

I just ordered a WD 3.5" 3TB powered disk and hope this will get me a cheap and fast external storage solution.