USB 3.0 hard drive to USB-C cable for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loft3, May 24, 2017.

1. loft3 macrumors regular

I might buy a new MBP next month if they drop the price. I have a number of USB 3.0 devices including external hard drives.

I know I could buy an adapter cable to allow me to plug their existing USB 3.0 cables into the USB-C port on the MBP, but instead of stringing cables together, could I just buy a USB 3.1 Type C to Micro B cable like this one on Amazon?

Would this cable essentially allow me to make my USB 3.0 hard drive into a USB-C hard drive? Or would the cable not work with it?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

I cannot speak to that brand, but with this product things operate A-OK. While it is a moot point in regards to single disk HDDs and single SATA SSDs, it is worth noting that, even though the MacBook Pro itself supports USB 3.1 Gen 2, this connection would be USB 3.1 Gen 1 (so 5 Gbps theoretical max - and not 10 Gbps)

3. leman macrumors 604

That is kind of the point with USB cables, yes... just get a good quality reputable brand cable (cheap ones often ignore the spec and can damage your devices). I use Belkin cables (I think) and they work great.

4. bcbickers macrumors newbie

I bought a couple of these cables for my WD Passport external drives. I haven't done a detailed performance test, but copy performance is plenty acceptable including Time Machine backups.

5. dyn macrumors 68030

USB-C in this case is no more than a connector. The protocol used is going to be the same as with the other cable: USB3.0. So yes it is going to do what you think it does.