USB 3.0 Hub + Switch In One (two workstations)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adversus, Jun 22, 2014.

1. adversus macrumors regular

adversus

Hey folks -

I am starting a new job on Monday and my new company is drop shipping me a brand new 15" MBP Retina. I already have a Mac Pro 5,1 with a ton of upgrades (4x SSD and 32GB memory). The new MBP-R is replacing my personal MBP 5,4.

I will be doing software dev using VMWare and want to be toggle my Keyboard/Mouse as well as external USB drives between my new MBP-R and my current Mac Pro.

Most of the KVM switches I've found have just 1-2 USB and then VGA (lol). Anyone have suggestions for this type of setup?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can hook a hub to a KVM switch so long as it is powered. I am not sure of the performance hit with plugging peripherals into a USB KVM switch though.

3. adversus thread starter macrumors regular

adversus

I don't want to spend money on a KVM switch that switches video, though. I want one just for USB.

I have a 27" Asus monitor which is currently on Dual-Link DVI from the Mac Pro, and I'll use the DisplayPort for the new MBR.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I don't think you're going to find a switch that can handle the USB drives. It would have to un-mount them from one computer then mount them on the other. Better to leave the drives connected to the MP and share them via your LAN with the MBP.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Then get a USB extension cable and run it from the Pro. Then swap the USB hub cable to either...

6. adversus thread starter macrumors regular

adversus

I think is what I might end up doing. Doesn't seem to be a good solution with what my setup is (and the above mentioned hot-swapping issue of drives).