Usb 3.0 hub with four external drives 3.0 ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Che Castro, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

I'm looking for a usb 3.0 hub that can handle four external drives 3.0 that have there own power brick

Is anybody using a usb 3.0 hub with 3-4 drives on a Mac mini 2012? With no problems
    Can you post the name of the hub

4 port hub or 7 port don't matter

2. opinio macrumors 65816

I have run 4 drives on this hub:

http://www.kanexlive.com/usb3hub4x

Two 4TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID-0, a Guardian Maximus 8TB hwardware RAID-0 and a 2.5" external drive for Time Machine.

Technically the above set up is 5 drives as the GMAX has two 4TB drives.

Through put is excellent. Speeds on the RAID on the hub versus directly plugged into the mini are almost identical.

3. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

and when you reboot all drives show up without any problems ?

also when your mini goes to sleep do you ever get the error message "drive did not eject properly"

?

one last thing about the Port 1 provides 10W"
    can you still use port 1 for external drives or is that port only for charging ipads/iphones when the computer is off

4. opinio macrumors 65816

Port 1 you can use for anything (hard drives etc). It works as a charger even if the mini is turned off (as long as the hub is obviously powered). I ran a 3TB drive for Time Machine on it for a while. No problems.

When I reboot, all drives show up no problems (for the ones I have run), but, some drives remain powered 'on' when I shut down the mini. This is not a problem for me as I run my mini 24/7.

It is not a fault with the hub. It's more to do with the type of drive I find. Some powered drives such as Seagate Barracudas (which have no on/off switch) will still have their capacity lights showing. In other words the hub does not completely sleep even if the mini is shut down. Bus powered devices do shut down completely I have found. It has not been an issue for me though.

I have never tested it on sleep (and can't at the moment because I am running something) because it is running 24/7. There are certainly no issues with shutdown or startup for me though.

Also note: the Apple Super Drive will not work on a hub (although some have suggested it does on some older USB2.0 hubs). It won't work on this hub.

I think if you want to run multiple drives of a hub and have the mini sleep and wake often then you will run the risk of some issues no matter what hub you use. For me, the 10 or so peripherals I have run have been fine for shut/start but there are a lot of USB3.0 controllers out there that sleep/wake differently. Also, some controllers have built in sleep modes. All I am saying is there are a million possibilities.

5. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

Thanks opinio I'll give that hub a try , but I'll order it from amazon

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I'm really surprised that hub doesn't have blue connectors....I thought that was some sort of standard for USB3. Don't get me wrong - it looks good with the white.

7. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Note well the color of the USB 3.0 connectors on the iMac, Mac mini, and the Macbook Pro and Air computers.

:D

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

9. Evildude683 macrumors regular

Evildude683

Don't wanna hijack the thread but I recently got a 2T external drive that supports USB 3.0 and I'm wondering if it'll work without problems on a mid 2010 27" iMac running MT?

10. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Should work fine and will connect as a USB 2.0 device automatically.

11. Evildude683 macrumors regular

Evildude683

Thanks!;)

12. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Thanks all....I guess it's more a "convention" than a "standard"

13. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

Now I'm looking for a 10 port usb 3.0 hub that can handle four 3tb external drives without any problems
    Any recommendations ?

14. ColdCase macrumors 68030

All USB3 hubs plus a Mac plus drives will have one issue or another, its a USB3 thing. Just not well thought out. You can sometimes make one or two drives of certain models work well, but anything more is a crap shoot.

Dunno why you need/want all those drives connected at the same time, but a multidrive enclosure will be much more reliable.

15. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac