USB 3.0 in new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by agtoau, Jan 2, 2010.

1. agtoau macrumors member

What are the chances that the new Mac Pros coming out this month or the next will be fitted with USB 3.0 ports?

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I think the chances are pretty good that the new Pro is equipped with both USB 3 and SATA 3. PC mainboards with these interfaces are available for a few weeks now.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

That doesn't mean we'll see it on the next MP's though, as the Gulftowns are still LGA1366, and use the same chipset as now (X58/5520).

For it to have 6Gb/s, it would need a different ICH attached to the chipset (ICH10 family is only good for 3.0Gb/s, and it can't even do that fully, as there's a limit of ~660MB/s across its DMI connection to the chipset), or use a controller that places the data on the PCIe bus directly (essentially a SATA III to PCIe bridge chip), and not use the ICH at all. But instead of it being a separate card you have to buy, its on the board.

USB 3.0 would be similar.

4. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

hopefully we will see blu-ray soon too..
    but i think the odds are about the same.

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

It took Apple a long time to move to USB 2.0 so I don't expect 3.0 for a while.

And then there is the news about Light Peak. Which could have an impact on everything in the next few years.

6. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

+1

It took them a year to go 2TB HDD's. USB 3.0, no chance this round.

7. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

They waited until 7200 RPM 2TB drives came out.

8. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

It really has less to do with Apple and everything to do with Intel.

Unless Apple opts to add a discrete USB 3.0 chip (which is unlikely due to added board redesign costs), I don't think we will see it in the Mac Pro until Intel integrates it into the ICH logic. A few sources have indicated that Intel won't be integrating USB 3 until 2011...

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/No_USB_30_for_Intel_Chipsets_till_2011_Nvidia/551-107322-581.html

Honestly, I believe the most likely outcome for a 2010 Mac Pro is EXACTLY the same logic board and chassis with just Gulftown processor options.

9. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

NOTTACHANCE!

Also, 0% chance of the price dipping below 2 large.

I'd actually bet on them making a xeon iMac and calling it a Mac Pro. Just watch!

10. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

If they can have "Pro" laptops... why not? In fact, I'm surprised the quad core iMac's didn't get "Pro" appended to their name... iMac Pro.

11. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

what ?

12. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Does anyone know if there are any USB 3.0 PCI-e cards that work with Mac Pros? TIA

13. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Zero chance. USB is obsolete. Light Peak will be added well before USB3 and it will displace USB entirely within a few years.

14. All Taken macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be so brash... I like facts - the fact is that intel showed off a prototype/makeshift Lightpeak Mac Pro motherboard last year.

This would appear to me that intel and apple are discussing implementation of lightpeak in mac pros as it was demoed on a mac pro board.

As for displacing USB, I doubt it - I feel it will take the same position as displayport tech, (Known but not widely adapted) at least for the first few years of it's life.

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

Light Peak will take time before it's adopted, and will depend on the cost of the transcievers. Most of the Light Peak parts out there are typically 180nm, and expensive. More than $50 per part right now (closer to ~$70 actually). There's new parts that are developed (65nm CMOS) that's intent is to lower the cost to ~$10 per part range. But so far, those parts are not widely available (evaluation components yes, but not so much on the supply side yet, as the production isn't to be ramped up until 2010). There's mulitple partners involved, and it all has to come together (different subcomponents from different suppliers).

USB 3.0 parts are already in the supply chain, and are backwards compatible with existing USB devices. So they're not going to suddenly disappear overnight. :rolleyes:

Light Peak is aimed as a replacement for a multitude of peripheral buses, such as drives (SCSI and SATA), external devices (FW & USB) and display (including audio signals) such as HDMI.

But it's not ready quite yet, as the parts aren't readily available in the supply chain, and it has to be cheap enough to attract adoption by device makers.

16. goMac macrumors 603

...except Light Peak supports attachment of USB 3.0 devices, letting you have your cake and eat it too.

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's dependent on the inexpensive (smaller die) semi's, and I'm not so sure it will be manufactured in quantity in time for the next MP's. :(

18. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

It was demod on a MP prototype logic board. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a prototype for the next MP release. Apple has been known to pick new technology for early release (USB 1.1, various wifi standards, Nehalem CPUs, PCI-express, etc).

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

Actually, it wasn't. It was an Intel engineering system (i.e. Frankenstein system) that was hacked to run OS X. :eek:

Apple's involvement is a rumor, not a confirmed fact. Now assuming it is true, the article (Engadget), states that it was nothing more than a concept, not a full fledged design. Intel and a few other partners did all the actual work to bring it to fruition (the demonstration was a prototype system; evaluation board stuffed in an Intel system - note the perf board and hand written text on the board "Light Bridge SV Board, Rev. 1.0").

They're hoping it will debut in 2010, but it will depend on getting the semiconductor components completed in a die size that's inexpensive enough where board makers (and companies that would produce PCIe cards) will bite. If it's too expensive, they'll wait for cheaper parts, and Intel and their partners are well aware of this. That's why they're trying to hit a $10USD price point for the sytem (and it's more than just a chip).

20. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Actually USB 3 will end up sooner than later on all new macs. Especially the Mac Pro would benefit from this fast interface for media transfers and storage. USB 3.0 is already on some new motherboards and there is an add on card although no mac drivers yet. I think usb 3.0 has the potential to be adopted quickly and has a hugh spped icrease immediate impact whereas sata 3 so far has shonw little or no real increase in speed.

21. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yep. USB 3.0 already has the parts in the supply chain, and they're inexpensive.

SATA III has potential, but will really only matter with SSD's, or mechanical on a PM enclosure (one eSATA port for multiple drives that can exceed the current throughput limit of ~250MB/s with existing SATA II PM chips) on the consumer/workstation front.

22. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Ah, Intel just "chose" to demonstrate on OSX instead of the OS thats on 95% of the world's computers? :rolleyes:

23. nanofrog macrumors G4

UNIX is easier to develop for when developing IC's, and there's more TCAD simulation software for UNIX than Windows.

It's also easier for testing IMO (i.e. VM). Get it working under UNIX, and you've proven the hardware works. Then tackle Windows. It narrows the issues to software by that point, and you're not pulling your hair out going at it from both directions.

24. goMac macrumors 603

If they were running OS X, you can bet that Apple wouldn't have approved of them running OS X on non-Apple hardware.

OS X doesn't share a driver architecture with UNIX at all. "Standardized UNIX" doesn't really come into play at all. The OS X driver API is likely even more obscure than the Windows one.