USB 3.0 issues with m-audio hardware

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DaveLicky, Aug 5, 2012.

1. DaveLicky macrumors newbie

Morning all.

I'm looking to build a home music production setup. I don't yet own a mac (looking at either cMBP, or iMac if it's ever updated).

My plan was to buy the keyboard controller (m-audio axiom 61) and interface (m-audio fast track) that I decided on, then get the mac.

I was about to pull the trigger and buy the m-audio gear on eBay, then I noticed someone had said that neither are USB 3.0 compatible.

Anyone had a similar problem? Are there any workarounds that don't give significant drawbacks? Anyone heard of any driver updates to make them work with USB 3.0?

Thanks in advance

2. DcoalStrat macrumors member

Not USB 3 quality but USB 2. I got the fastrack it works fine with my machine. And you don't need USB 3 speed on it.j

3. mjn298 macrumors regular

Yea don't worry about this - I have no idea why it wouldn't work. I have an Oxygen and it works perfectly.

4. DaveLicky thread starter macrumors newbie

I know USB 3 speeds are not necessary for audio interface use. My worry is compatibility.

Can you confirm that you're using a fast track with USB 3 and it's ok?

5. blazeken996 macrumors member

All USB 2.0 devices are compatible with USB 3.0 ports, they work exactly the same as if they were on a 2.0 port.

6. zalo macrumors newbie

That is not true, you are making an assumption that the drivers were written correctly and shortcuts weren't taken that USB3 breaks.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/...ory-but-some-audio-drivers-arent-cooperating/

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/07/usb3-apple-update-from-ni-your-best-bet-wait/

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/...just-new-apple-laptops-ni-driver-fix-in-beta/

Native Instruments was the first to be reported but I have read issues about M-Audio also. There are workarounds where you basically turn your USB3 compatibility off.

7. mjn298 macrumors regular

I don't have an M-Audio Fast Track but I have a Tascam US-100 (which is conceptually similar from an I/O standpoint I would imagine) and it works fine plug-and-play.

I also have an M-Audio Oxygen (midi keyboard) that works perfectly also, so I can say that (at least some of) the M-Audio midi controllers work but I can't speak to the USB audio boxes.

Wish I could be more helpful.

8. DcoalStrat macrumors member

Im currently out of town and my Fastrack is not with me at the moment. But I might do a test when I get back home on Wednesday. My machine is barely new,less than 14 days. so I have not tried my M-Audio on my new machines with Ivy Bridge. I will let you know. How soon do you need the result?

9. DcoalStrat macrumors member

I confirm that Fastrack works on USB 3

10. DaveLicky thread starter macrumors newbie

DcoalStrat, mjn298, thank you very much.

M-Audio Axiom 61 ordered, now to find a Fast Track...

...and a Mac.