USB 3.0 Kernel + Slugging Cursor

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TomTomTuning, Oct 16, 2014.

1. TomTomTuning macrumors regular

So I'm having an issue with USB 3.0

Specs:
    MacPro5.1
    OSX 10.9.5
    Intel Xeon W3690 Hex
    3x8GB (24GB) 1333 RAM
    EVGA 4GB GTX 680 FTW (flashed)
    802.11ac & Bluetooth 4.0 (MacVidCards upgrade)

PCIe Cards:
    Lacie USB 3.0
    Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 + 1TB EVO 840
    RocketRaid 622 eStata

Other Hardware:
    Lexar Professional Workflow HR1 Four-Bay USB 3.0 Reader Hub
    4x CFR1 CompactFlash Readers

In order to get the Lacie PCIe card to work with non-Lacie peripherals, I had to use a custom driver that someone modified. I installed the driver months ago, so I unfortunately forget where I got it from. My USB 3.0 device functions fine, I even get great transfer speeds but as soon as I plug in the device my mouse becomes very sluggish and skips around, making basic operations a pain in the butt. I transfer the date and then unmount the device at which point things go back to normal.

I get the following Kernel as soon as I plug in the reader.

[​IMG]

It's the only USB 3.0 device I own, so I can't test other stuff. Perhaps I should buy a 3.0 thumb drive and see.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks for your time.

2. TomTomTuning, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

TomTomTuning thread starter macrumors regular

3. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

4. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

It looks like your "Post Count" is to low to allow access to the Marketplace Forum area, but as you can see, Lou has sent you a PM regarding the card.

I don't have wireless and/or BT interference with the card, but many do. It's not specific to any particular card, it's specific to USB 3.0 & BT in general. If you develop such an issue, Lou can help you with that too. He's been through the gamut with that problem and conquered it.

5. TomTomTuning thread starter macrumors regular

I never got a PM from him but I will send him one myself :)

6. TomTomTuning thread starter macrumors regular

I bought a Inateck KT-4004 from flowrider and so far it's working great! No drivers needed, USB3.0 device mounts & unmount very fast, transfer speeds are spot on and best of all no sluggish cursor or kernel panics! Thanks again flowrider!

I will have to keep an eye on the wireless, make sure there's no interference but I'm sure it will be fine. :)

7. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^Glad you finally got it. The USPS certainly took their time:mad: It had a promised delivery of last Saturday:eek:

Lou

8. TomTomTuning, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

TomTomTuning thread starter macrumors regular

I know right, talk about delay! I was so ready to install it on Saturday lol.

9. TomTomTuning thread starter macrumors regular

So after having the card installed for a few days now, I have noticed the cursor (Magic Mouse) becoming sluggish. As soon as I unplug my USB 3.0 Card Reader Hub, the sluggishness goes away. :(

10. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^Yes, that is a problem with just about any USB 3.0 Card, but there are ways around it. My way, was to use a BT dongle (MVC's actually) and mount it remotely on the end of a 3 ft. USB cable. I then used Apple's Bluetooth Explorer to choose the dongle. The interference is now gone. I explained this method in the Bluetooth thread.

Lou