USB 3.0 on MBP Refresh--Maybe

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pentad, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I think we all agree that TB is not exactly taking the world by storm.

For me, I bought a new 2011 MBP and after watching Spring turn to Summer turn to Autumn (almost) I believe TB is a flop. Having watched zero mass appeal TB devices appear over the past months, I wondered how long Apple could ride TB before they would take a hard look at USB3.

I suspected that Apple would slip USB3 into the next round of hardware when Intel added native support for USB3 in their chipsets. That would just make sense. However, it appears that Apple is looking at USB3 much sooner than that.

Here is a great article talking about Apple and USB3.

I don't know about all of you but I would kill to have the ability to match a USB3 external HD to my MBP. I have large amounts of data I would like to archive and USB 2.0 is just too slow and FW800 is getting awfully pokey.

When I purchased my 2011 MBP the day they were released I thought if TB turns out to be a flop it would still be ok since somebody will have a USB3 to TB cable, but I wonder if that will actually happen.

-P

2. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I don't think it was a question of Apple "not supporting" USB3 standard. With lack of enthusiasm and support from Intel, who were also big proponents of Light-peak technology, Apple just didn't want to bother going an extra mile to include USB3 in their products. Since Intel is planning to bake in USB3 support right into the next gen chipset, I think Apple might just add USB3 ports to next gen Macs.