USB 3.0 on Mid-2011 Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by emieczko, Dec 11, 2016.

1. emieczko macrumors newbie

Google, in it's infinite wisdom, has led me to an (approx) $80 adapter by Kanex that'll connect to the Thunderbolt port on my mid-2011 Mini. It provides a USB 3.0 port and an eSATA port. However... In addition to being a bit pricey, it's not well rated.

Can any of you guys recommend options here for connecting a USB 3.0 device (at USB 3.0 speeds) to said Mac Mini? FWIW, I don't need the eSATA support

2. keeper macrumors 6502

I use one and have a usb3 hub connected to it for my 2 external drives, works fine for me, however it's another box hanging off an EOL machine.

May be worth looking at a small form factor PC rather than spending money it. I'm giving Apple till new year and I'll replace mine with a PC with a couple of internal drives, will be neater and faster.

3. emieczko thread starter macrumors newbie

My Mini is still doing the job I bought it for without complaint. I really don't want to go through the hassles of setting up a new machine on a different OS just to get USB 3.0. I just want a faster means of moving data between it and a USB 3.0 hard drive that I use to backup a laptop...

4. keeper, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016

keeper macrumors 6502

The reviews are mostly good on Amazon. I'm more than happy with mine.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/KANEX-Thun...?ie=UTF8&qid=1481486156&sr=8-2&keywords=kanex

This is another version
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thunderbol...id=1481486571&sr=8-9&keywords=thunderbolt+hub

5. emieczko thread starter macrumors newbie

Intersting... The Amazon reviews are definitely better than those on the Apple Store.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Can you just use a gigabit ethernet network connection to the laptop? I have file sharing enabled on a mini that I use as an iTunes server and get over 100MB/sec copying files over my LAN.

Direct-connected USB 2.0 drives only get around 30-35MB/sec. My small bus-powered USB 3.0 drives (like WD MyPassport Ultra) are also about 100 MB/sec. My larger desktop USB 3.0 external drives clock around 180MB/sec. however.

How fast is the drive that you need to connect?

7. wlossw macrumors 65816

wlossw

8. emieczko thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya know... Yeah, actually, that's an option, and maybe a pretty decent one, really. I had envisioned using an external drive as a mobile backup device and then syncing the drive to the main archive on the mini, but there's no reason I can't sync the laptop instead. The drive in question maxes out around 100 MB/s, so gigabit ethernet would be equivalent...

and I already have that... Huh. Boyd01, you may be on to something here, lol!
    --- Post Merged, Dec 11, 2016 ---
    That's two positive reviews (and none opposing so far)! I think I'm gonna give the ethernet workflow a shot, but if I decide I want my originally envisioned setup I think I'll give the Kanex a shot.