Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greg97

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Canada Eh?
Hello All!
I have a mid 2010 Mac Pro v5,1 OSX 10.6.8 and am having trouble trying to upgrade it by installing a USB 3.0 PCIx card. It seems like so many others have had great success with this: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1238494/
However when I tried it doesn't seem to work. When I installed a similar card with the NEC D720200F1 chipset, hooked it up to the internal power, and after trying various PXHCD.kext files (all which have worked for others on other forums) mine doesn't seem to want to recognize anything plugged into it, USB 3.0, 2.0, or otherwise. What really doesn't make sense is that the PCI card and USB connection both show up in the system profiler. The only thing I can think of is that there is some other kext or some other file that is interfering with the proper functioning of this card. (I had a similar problem a while back with a LexarUSB.kext that was interfering with reading DVDs in my optical drive, but once removed it was golden....how someone figured that one out baffles me lol). Anyways if anyone has any suggestions out there, I would love to try them out.
Thanks in advance for all your help.
Cheers!

Attachments

• PCI Card Screen.png
    PCI Card Screen.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,738
  • USB Screen.png
    USB Screen.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,199

greg97

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Canada Eh?
I actually have a driver for 10.8 as well which I tried out just for fun but it messed with my system not recognizing my mouse, or any other peripheral for that matter and had to do a reinstall of my OS (10.6.8) to get things back to normal. When I ran into that problem I tried the Apple call center, as I have an extended warranty, and asked if they knew anything about it, but they weren't much help as its a third party issue :confused:
Like I said, the driver can't be the problem as it works for others, like yourself, so there must be some other file interfering with it somehow. Unless there is a slight difference in the chipset - are all the NEC chips the same? Does yours say NEC D720200F1 on it?
Thanks!

greg97

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Canada Eh?
It was from a friend who got it when he bought his card off of eBay..of course.his is working as well but he's running 10.7...so I have no idea if the 10.8 driver actually works

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Just found a link for you my friend where the updated drivers you're looking for can be found: http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2870
I just posted there as well in hopes someone might have a solution to my problem :confused:

Awesome... That worked for me! Thanks! I wish I could help you out. :eek: I can only suggest try unplugging and uninstalling all additional hardware (eg. all other USB devices for sure and any other expansion cards you might have) to see if a dead stock system gets your USB3 working... then start adding things back until it breaks.

greg97

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Canada Eh?
I have no other cards installed and the only other add ons are a 2TB WD external using FireWire and a 3TB WD external using USB 2.0 (but USB 3.0 capable!). I was kinda guessing it might be the WD drivers I installed but haven't tried removing anything yet. My question is if I start taking out files one at a time, do I need to do a complete restart each time for it to completely work? If so that will take forever! Argh! I was also thinking I could create a fresh OSX partition with the ONLY addition being the PXHCD.kext file and seeing if that works.....

p.s. Glad I could help out mate! ;)

cohen777

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I gave up on Sonnett and bought a caldigit card. It works great! And, that is with mountain lion (OS X 10.8). I bought the FASTA USB 3.0 card and esata works without drivers. I installed the drivers and no problem. Actually, I had a problem and that was with the old drivers from sonnett. After I found them, and deleted them, the card worked.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Ditto for me. Caldigit card works great, not impressed with HighPoint. Support is lacking. My dual RocketU card is now gathering dust.

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
I guess you are talking about PCIe card not PCIx card right?
FWIW, the current working card for mt. lion 10.8 is from Caldigit only.
both their USB3 card and FASTA-6GU3 card work great.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
I guess you are talking about PCIe card not PCIx card right?
FWIW, the current working card for mt. lion 10.8 is from Caldigit only.
both their USB3 card and FASTA-6GU3 card work great.

Lots of people get -x and -e confused since "x" sounds like an abbreviation for express. Obviously, the Mac Pro has PCI-e slots.

greg97

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Canada Eh?
Sorry you're right....it is PCIe...but generic cards with the NEC/Renesas chipset do work with ML with the updated drivers I referred to above...and with SL as well with driver v1.0.8...just not in my Mac Pro for some weird reason :(

FireWire2

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
USB3.0 support Port Multiplier enclosure and ODD

If you experience drives umount/drop off

You need to go to
Apple System Preferences: Energy Saver and uncheck "Put hard disks to sleep when possible".

This will preventing the drives drop off/ unmounted

Last edited:

LeicaM8

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
West Michigan
Awesome... That worked for me! Thanks! I wish I could help you out. :eek: I can only suggest try unplugging and uninstalling all additional hardware (eg. all other USB devices for sure and any other expansion cards you might have) to see if a dead stock system gets your USB3 working... then start adding things back until it breaks.

Thanks for posting the Link!
My el cheapo usb 3.0 card out of south china only had the link to lacie come with it.
The kexts and wizard worked a treat.
Richard

tekzoz

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016

Hi!
I have the same problem, but 4 years later!!
Unfotunately the magic link is out, cannot find the page. Can you give me more information about the right driver to use (name of package)?
Thank you very much!
Marco.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi!
I have the same problem, but 4 years later!!
Unfotunately the magic link is out, cannot find the page. Can you give me more information about the right driver to use (name of package)?
Thank you very much!
Marco.

Google "USB 3.0 generic kext"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.