USB 3.0/Prores 422 fast enough?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by joeysarks, Aug 22, 2012.

1. joeysarks macrumors regular

I'd like to just record straight to my external hard drive, but I only have a USB 2.0 right now and it bogs out. If I snag a Macbook Pro Retina will I be able to record in Apple ProRes 422 straight to my external hard drive, Does anyone know if it's fast enough?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. joeysarks thread starter macrumors regular

Well all I have is a USB 2/3 external right now, so i'd prefer USB. (one of the many reasons I haven't purchased an old iMac) Just was curious about the ability of MBPr before I plunked the 2 grand down:) I'm already upset they got rid of line in on the headphones port, now I have to find some usb configuration to get the audio feed from my Xbox:/

For right now i'll be doin 720p anyways since my video is only from Xbox...until next generation. Blackmagic Intensity Extreme doesn't allow for 1080p 29.97 FPS anyways, least not yet...hopefully they have plans to patch it higher soon. But still seems to have problems recording straight to external. Also, from my research it seems that writing to an SSD a lot is bad for it overtime, so i'd like to bypass any kind of writing to it if possible...specially with big files.

4. simsaladimbamba