Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
The 4 USB ports on the back of my mini have been used up pretty quickly. I have a mouse, keyboard, webcam, and external drive connected.

My Dell Ultrasharp monitor has 4 USB ports (2.0 I would imagine) so I am considering using one of the 4 ports on the back of the mini for the USB uplink cable to the monitor. That way I can free up the other ports at the back of the mini.

If you were me what WOULDNT you connect to the ports on the monitor? Im assuming that things like the mouse and keyboard are fine, but would I be better off connecting the HD webcam and external HDD directly the the mini itself?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
the ports on the monitor are basically a USB hub.
I'm saying if you don't want to use the ports on the display or if you want USB 3.0 throughput, which the display's ports can't provide, using a USB 3.0 hub will enable you to add more USB 3.0 devices to your mini.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
Keyboard and mouse would be just fine in the monitor. Just out of curiosity, have you concidered moving to a bluetooth k/m? Doesnt have to be apple, but it could help free up some ports.

I would def put the external HDD on the USB3 ports if it is USB3, otherwise it doesnt matter. No experience with the cam, but I would imagine that the USB3 ports would be good there.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I'm saying if you don't want to use the ports on the display or if you want USB 3.0 throughput, which the display's ports can't provide, using a USB 3.0 hub will enable you to add more USB 3.0 devices to your mini.

Ah sorry I get you. Yeah thats a good suggestion actually. The reason Im considering the monitor route is that it would be quite a neat and tidy setup.

----------

Keyboard and mouse would be just fine in the monitor. Just out of curiosity, have you concidered moving to a bluetooth k/m? Doesnt have to be apple, but it could help free up some ports.

I would def put the external HDD on the USB3 ports if it is USB3, otherwise it doesnt matter. No experience with the cam, but I would imagine that the USB3 ports would be good there.

I am considering the apple keyboard and mouse a little further down the line to be honest. The only reason Im not doing it yet is because I have a nice backlit Logitech keyboard.

I guess if my devices are not USB 3.0 compliant then there will be little difference whether I plug them into the mini or the monitor right?

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
The 4 USB ports on the back of my mini have been used up pretty quickly. I have a mouse, keyboard, webcam, and external drive connected.

My Dell Ultrasharp monitor has 4 USB ports (2.0 I would imagine) so I am considering using one of the 4 ports on the back of the mini for the USB uplink cable to the monitor. That way I can free up the other ports at the back of the mini.

If you were me what WOULDNT you connect to the ports on the monitor? Im assuming that things like the mouse and keyboard are fine, but would I be better off connecting the HD webcam and external HDD directly the the mini itself?

This is what I purchased. Looks awesome with the Mini.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007X6XJ98/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Thanks, just got one on ebay for $15. My current mini has 5 USB, so the 2012 mini with 4 was tight. Now I'll have 3 USB3, and 4USB2.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
I assume USB 3 has the same power issues as USB 2. So an unpowered hub is only good for a mouse, keyboard, and separately powered devices... not good with typical web cams, portable drives, some scanners, and other stuff.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I assume USB 3 has the same power issues as USB 2. So an unpowered hub is only good for a mouse, keyboard, and separately powered devices... not good with typical web cams, portable drives, some scanners, and other stuff.

Probably, but in the OPs situation with a 4-port hub built into the monitor, that's probably a powered hub. My Dell monitors' ports appear to be powered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.