USB 3.0 to DVI/ HDMI?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NeilRShah, Jun 13, 2012.

1. NeilRShah macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

I'm making the decision between the rMBP and the 13" MBP. The truth is... I prefer the 13 inch size and retina is a nice to have, not a need to have for me.

But what seems really cool is the two thunderbolt ports for external monitors that the rMBP has. I would LOVE to have three screens to work with when I'm at my desk.

So I did more poking around and found the USB to DVI option. It seems like with USB 2.0 - there is a ton of lag with videos and rapid movement, which would bother me.

But... I was wondering - with the speed increase from USB 3.0 - that may have gone away. has anyone tried out a USB 3.0 to DVI / HDMI option? If so - do you have any reviews or recommendations?

If I could have two outside monitors with the regular MacBook Pro - I would almost for sure choose that one.

Thanks in advance!!

2. PAPO macrumors 6502

15" is still very portable, even the non retina with an ODD and all the extra heft, get the rMBP it has dedicated gfx and all sorts of goodies I had a 15" MBP for 2 years of high school and it was just fine to move around

3. NeilRShah thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes... I'm considering it. :)

But has anyone tried the USB 3.0 to HDMI / DVI?

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

You can have two monitors hooked to a non-retina Macbook Pro via Thunderbolt if you have a Thunderbolt display ($849 refurbished). You just hook the second display to the mini-displayport pass through on the back of the TB display.

Expensive, but just another option for you.

5. NeilRShah thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man, appreciate it!

Can anyone confirm this? I heard mini-displayports don't work when daisy-chaining the thunderbolt display. If they do, I'll do that.

6. unixperience macrumors regular

the minidp cannot be directly daisy chained to a tb display. You have to put another tb device in between the two (like a harddrive or some kind of docking station) otherwise it wont work... no idea why. but thats the case

as far as usb 3 to dvi... i've never used one, but I havent seen any that are mac compatible anyway. I do use usb2-dvi and they are NOT for video. and they have a few other shortcomings too