USB 3.0 vs Thunderbolt Docking Stations

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tacobill, Jul 23, 2014.

1. tacobill macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

So at a fair I managed to win myself an Apple prize pack of a 2014 Macbook Air and an iPad mini. I am a windows systems admin so this is all pretty new to me. That being said I love it so far, and it has replaced my computer at work and home.

So in order for me to easily go back and forth, I am looking for a dock. Now since I am in a Windows team we have a bunch of USB 3.0 docking stations kicking around but MacBooks have the Thunderbolt port. I am wondering what are the pros/cons of each.

(For reference I am looking for 1 monitor output via HDMI and at least two USB ports for keyboards/USB Storage)

Thank you for all the help!

2. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Three words: Caldigit Thunderbolt station.

http://www.caldigit.com/thunderboltstation/

I didn't need HDMI so I went for the Belkin (so I got FW 800 instead of HDMI, it's more useful to me)

Sometimes my Displayport to DVI adapter acts up on wake up, but it's a pleasure to connect ONE cable and have basically everything.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Can a USB3 port dock connect a large HDMI LCD Monitor? I think the point of TB is there is one connection for the monitor, wired gigabyte networking and to a RAID box. USB3 on the there hand costs less. So take your pick.

There is also a matter of CPU load. USB required a bit from the CPU to run. Tb is more like PCIe.

4. willgreene99 macrumors regular

willgreene99

I would have to recommend the Elgato TB Dock. It has the ports you are asking for and it does have the power to drive USB only drives without a power supply.

I have both the Belkin and the Elgato and I find the Elgato the better product based on my testing and usage.

5. Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

For the ONE reason above, ONE wire, I recommend the cal digit dock. It is flawless IMO.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

For starts, I've never seen a USB display adapter/hub work as well with a display, as a thunderbolt/DisplayPort connection, even on USB 3.0. You're going to get more responsiveness with a TB dock.