Usb 3.0

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobo911, Sep 24, 2011.

1. bobo911 macrumors newbie

So, when do you guys think the macbook pro will come equipped with USB3.0's. is there ever going to be usb3.0 on the mbp?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I disagree. The Intel ivy bridge chipset supports USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt and we will likely see this chipset in new Mac hardware Q1 2012. Unless Apple just disables USB 3.0 in these machines out of spite, it should be there. Just speculation at this point though.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

USB 3.0 is integrated into the PCH, but Thunderbolt is not. It's "supported", but so is every other platform with PCIe and DisplayPort (though only machines based on Sandy Bridge have it atm). You will still need a separate controller for TB, and Intel is coming up with new controllers in early 2012 (Cactus Ridge).

It's possible for Apple to not use USB 3.0 as it's unlikely that all USB posts in 7-series chipsets will be 3.0 variety. Hence Apple could use 2.0 ones instead (kind of like they only use one SATA 6Gb/s in some 2011 MBPs, or at least did). Don't see why Apple wouldn't use the bundled USB 3.0 though.

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Apple likes to rebel against technology they didn't create. It's a shame they have to let their ego get in the way, but it's been this way for years.

It's the reason they came up with the name "airport" for what is nothing more than WiFi. That persisted for years misleading novices into thinking that Apple created something better than WiFi.

One just has to get into acceptance that the nature of Apple is to take a rather odd approach to certain things. They have an insatiable need to feel special. Because Steve Jobs was the worlds best salesman, they could get people to buy into anything he said. He became a God like figure with worshipers to match.

It's worked so well you see how rich they've become and how they can command profit margins far higher than any other tech company.

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

WTF are you talking about? Mac uses ALL standard technology....they did NOT create thunderbolt. There are NO computers currently on the market with USB3 installed. Next gen macs will no doubt include thunderbolt as the firewire replacement and usb3 as the usb2 replacement (it used to be usb1 before 2 came out). Yes, apple tends to stay at the edge of the tech curve...but they never rebel against it! That's Sony's job!

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Maybe you should check your facts. Nearly all current non-Apple computers have USB 3.0 support. It's even integrated into some of AMD's chipsets, e.g. A75.

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Well, you are correct there....but I would still NEVER buy a PC....so in my world there are no USB3 computers.

8. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

I agree, except it WILL NOT be Q1 2012, it will be AT LEAST Q2 2012.

9. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Well, now I know which users not to take seriously.

10. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Would any 34 express card to usb3.0 work? I ordered a card that will give me esata at least.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Don't be so sure. Ivy Bridge will be out March/April 2012 and Intel has historically given Apple early access, so it could be in Q1.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While you're not taking me seriously, try holding your breath until a Mac is released with USB 3.0. :rolleyes: I didn't say it's impossible... I said it's not likely.

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Well, partially correct. Apple is following Intel's lead in this. Intel is dragging its feet, but, will still rolling out USB 3.0. USB 3.0 is being phased in. I believe that most/all desktop models now have it, and probably most newly redesigned laptops. Apple has implied it will wait until it can get a low-power integrated version. Early USB 3.0 implementations were power hungry and not terribly good performance, so, I'm fine that Apple waited. Of course, it does look like early TB implementations are a little lame also compared to what TB is supposed to be ...

Agree that TB is the replacement for FW, and, USB 3 is the replacement for USB 2.

14. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Uh, WTF are YOU talking about?? There are MANY computers on the market with USB 3.0 ports. You shouldn't post information without checking your facts...

-P

15. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I understood you and replied appropriately. It's highly likely that Macs will support USB 3.0.

What reason do you think Apple will have to not include USB 3.0 once it becomes reasonable for them to do so.

16. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

Yeah, and Bulldozer will be out last July. Until Intel confirms it, it's not here. Especially not with that funky 3D transistor gate jazz. :rolleyes:

17. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Well, I wouldn't go as far as saying that USB3 will "never" make it to "any" Mac. It'll probably not be in the immediate future, but USB3 will eventually replace USB2 in all PCs, Macs included.

This is not true. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a new 2011 PC model devoid of USB3 port.
    Agree 100%. Apple never rebelled against USB3. It's just that, with lack of support from Intel in their Sandy Bridge chipsets, coupled with Apple/Intel's eagerness for Lightpeak (aka Thunderbolt) technology, Apple simply hasn't bothered adapting USB3 in Macs just yet. However, in long term, Apple has nothing to lose and everything to gain by including USB3 in their computers.

Still, it is incorrect to make a statement based on "your world" rather than the real world. Wouldn't you agree? ;)