Usb 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rollems64, Aug 19, 2008.

1. rollems64 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if apple designed the possibility of USB 3.0 into the iphone/ipod touch?

I presume the specs USB 3.0 weren't finalised in time for the older ipod touch, but it is possible they knew enough for implimentation into the iphone 3g.

Any Thoughts??

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

As far as I am aware the issue is more down to the speed of the memory on the iPhone/iPod touch itself rather than the speed of the interface.

And to the issue of if apple actually put USB3 into the iPhone/iPod touch I am certain they did not partly due to it not being finalised but it would be pointless for a number of reasons predominately their current line of computer do not have USB3 support.

I am also sure that if they did it would have been discovered by now.

3. rollems64 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that certainly makes sense.

The only reason I asked is because I heard that the ipod connector that has been around for many years nows has been future proofed with patents and the such, and has spare connections within the plug to allow for advances of this type, meaning apple would not need to change the design of the plug for many years to come.

Thanks for your reply

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

USB 3.0 is still an unfinished spec with no hardware chips at all yet (just the connector specs). It is backwards compatible with USB 1.1/2.0. It will use an optical (I believe) connector to pass data. It will probably be at least a year before the first hardware (HD's most likly) shows up with USB 3.0. So I would not expect it in even the next iPhone and maybe not for several more years.

5. aneftp macrumors 601

The future is probably wireless USB

There will probably be a USB 3.0. Remember USB 2.0 did not become mainstream until 2003 and not in laptops until 2004. USB 1.0 first appears in 1996 so it took about 7 years just to go from USB 1-USB2 in the mainstream.

But I think the future will be wireless USB. People do not like cable clutter and wireless USB will be a perfect fit for the majority of devices.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

We haven't seen the last of wired connections just yet. ;)
    Given enough time for wireless technologies to develop adequate bandwidth, and the cost drop to something mainstream users would pay, perhaps. I would guess that's a few years at least.

7. affenage macrumors newbie

My Vaio notebook, purchased Dec 2001, had high speed USB 2's.
    I think Vaio's are pretty mainstream:rolleyes:

sue