Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I've been testing a USB 3.1 Gen2 external enclosure quite extensively (it's had some issues, went back to supplier, they couldn't find issues, so sent it back with a known-good cable and I'm testing some more). As part of this, I had it plugged into the supposedly USB3.0 (5Gbit) type-A ports on the Mac mini.

Except, under System Information, it showed up as being 10Gbit still, and it performed at exactly the same speeds as when plugged into the type-C ports.

When I had it plugged into a known 3.0 port (on an Akitio TB dock) it showed as 5Gbps and the read/write speed was reduced somewhat.

Apple say the type-A ports are only 5Gbps - has anyone else had a 10Gbit device plugged into the A ports and had it show up/perform as 10Gbit??

Sarpanch

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2013
SoCal
I've been testing a USB 3.1 Gen2 external enclosure quite extensively (it's had some issues, went back to supplier, they couldn't find issues, so sent it back with a known-good cable and I'm testing some more). As part of this, I had it plugged into the supposedly USB3.0 (5Gbit) type-A ports on the Mac mini.

Except, under System Information, it showed up as being 10Gbit still, and it performed at exactly the same speeds as when plugged into the type-C ports.

When I had it plugged into a known 3.0 port (on an Akitio TB dock) it showed as 5Gbps and the read/write speed was reduced somewhat.

Apple say the type-A ports are only 5Gbps - has anyone else had a 10Gbit device plugged into the A ports and had it show up/perform as 10Gbit??

I have been researching USB enclosures for an SSD as well but didn’t bother with USB 3.0 ones as Apple listed those ports at 5Gbps max. But your test results make me very curious if those USB-A ports are infact 3.1 GEN 2. Would you mind sharing which enclosure is this?

I am testing a USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 enclosure with Via Labe VL716 chip and it seems to working really good.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
But your test results make me very curious if those USB-A ports are infact 3.1 GEN 2. Would you mind sharing which enclosure is this?

I saw that result with an Orico "hollow" case (similar to, if not exactly this one: http://www.orico.cc/goods.php?id=6695). It has a VIA board/chip in it, but I'll need to check again what specific model it reports it as.

I also just got notification that the USB3.1Gen2 4-port hub, and the M2 + case (again, USB 3.1 Gen2) I ordered have shipped, so I may be able to test more thoroughly then.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I've seen 10gb/sec reported on my Type A ports on my 2018 Mini. I finally got an adequate USB-C connector cable so I could free up those older type ports.

Reactions: ElectronGuru
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.