USB 3 and Thunderbolt iMac mid 2011

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ken1, Nov 28, 2013.

1. ken1 macrumors newbie

I expect this machine does not have USB 3 but am I correct that it's USB 2 will operate USB 3 hard drive just slower?

It has 2 thunderbolt outputs. 1 is being used with a thunderbolt display. Sorry to be dense but am I correct that the other is compatible with an external thunderbolt hard drive?

Thanks

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

You are correct. USB 3 devices will speak on USB 2 ports, at USB 2 speeds.

And thunderbolt is thunderbolt. Connect any peripheral you like to any of the thunderbolt ports provided.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your machine is USB2, but any USB3 drive will work, just slower like you mentioned.

Yes, you can use the second TB port for am external drive it you want.

4. ken1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank and followup

Thank you
    Now.. I'm needing to purchase a new Thunderbolt/usb3 external drive to use with my iMac but my macbook pro is older and has only usb 2 or FW800.
    I see adaptor for using FW800 on Thunderbolt but not sure if the reverse works. ie. Can the FW 800 on the old MB Pro adapt to Thunderbolt drive and just run at FW speed?
    Thanks again.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No such thing (that I have ever seen anyway) as a FW800 to TB adaptor.

I would just get a USB3 drive and use it on both machines. TB is not much if any faster for a single external drive anyway and tends to be very expensive. Give this test a look.