USB 3 card for Mac Pro.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DELTAsnake, Dec 27, 2010.

1. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

I'm looking for a USB 3.0 card for my new Mac Pro so I can use a WD USB 3 hard drive. From forum feedback it looks like the Lacie and Caldigit are designed for use with there own drives only. Are there any USB 3.0 cards for a Mac Pro that will work with any hard drive I plug in?

2. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Caldigit can be used with any USB 3.0 manufactured drive. The pci card is slower than a windows box with on board usb 3.0 though although still noticeably faster than usb 2.0.

3. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I don't see how that could be true - there's no such thing as "onboard" USB 3.0 on any Intel motherboard. Manufacturers are using the PCIe bus to provide a port, so logically that wouldn't be faster than using a card here would be.

And that's the primary reason why it hasn't been included in Mac Pros yet - Intel doesn't include it on their motherboards, and  hates that kind of workaround solution.

4. dime21 macrumors 6502

USB3? Ugh, why bother? Firewire 800 and eSata are both much better solutions for external hard drives.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I'd love to hear why!

6. rtrt, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  7. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

My original point still stands, then. It's not inherently faster. If it's drivers, then that's a driver issue. And  has not written drivers, so you're standing on the drivers done by a third party...which can be iffy.

8. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

other cards - use lacie

seeing this thread, I tried something out.
    I bought one of these on discountages ago:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815150161

it didn't work in my box until I just downloaded the drivers from Lacie and gave them a go. BAM. It works.

This card used a NEC chipset (what ever that means) and I guess so do the Lacie ones.