USB 3 flash drive for scratch disc

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by matteusclement, Nov 29, 2013.

1. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

The USB flash drives are pretty fast on USB3 now, and they are gettng cheap at 128GB for about $50-60.

What are you thoughts on using them for DSLR footage scratch drives in Premiere pro?

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Perfectly usable within reason. Make sure you look for reviews to see what real word data rates are....I would say look for >70MB/s on read and write and thats bare minimum. I believe Sandisk and Lexar have some 128's that are doing 120MB/s on read and write, I believe the Lexar had more consistant fast write speeds which in my experience makes sense....Sandisk like to brag about read speed but if you don't have both fast read AND write its difficult and if its media for a camera then its pointless to have only fast read speed...this is coming from someone who owns allot of Sandisk too, I like them, they are reliable but their minimum write speeds are lame, my Extreme Pro's read at 105MB/s which is INSANE but *only* write at 50MB/s, still blazing fast but for some applications I could use faster than that...I believe Sandisk guarentee 10MB/s write which is meh. Either way research via reviews first.

3. drew.bowser macrumors regular

It would probably work find, but you will get much better performance for probably a similar cost by using a usb3 enclosure with a smaller ssd. Plus with the amount of read and writes you will get a longer life with the ssd.

4. ChrisA, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

ChrisA macrumors G4

They are not much faster than a disk drive. maybe 50MB/sec at most. But for $90 you can buy a REAL SDD drive at OWC.http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/SSD/Mercury_Electra_3G_Solid_State These are about 5x faster then the USB thumb drive

I'm actually looking at one of there even faster 6G SSDs.

5. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Those SSd's might be 5x faster but they are also 3x the price of my proposed solution.

I've seen some cool stuff using USB 3 drives in software raid for some nice speeds.

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

RAID 0 Flash drives. I thought I was the only one that tried this XD I've seen four Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC cards in RAID 0 go up to and over 400MB/s!

7. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

yeah Nate,
    I think I will give this a try.

If I used 4 of these 128GB USB3 drives, it'd be a 512 RAID0