USB 3 Hub with Ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tiwizard, Feb 18, 2013.

1. tiwizard macrumors regular

Where I am, WiFi can be spotty at times with all of the interference, so I'd prefer to be on the faster wired network (500 mbps).

I would use Apple's Thunderbolt->Ethernet adapter, but I also sometimes have my monitor plugged into the port, so unfortunately that's out. That leaves me with the USB 3 ports. Because the Air only has two USB ports and I have an external drive and mouse/keyboard connected, there's also no room for the USB 3 to ethernet adapter to attach to my computer.

I'd like to get a dock or hub with USB 3 and ethernet, kind of like the Kanex DualRole that is coming out on the 28th. That way, I get ethernet, USB 3 speeds on my hard drive, and still have more ports for the keyboard/mouse.

Does anyone know of one that is cheaper than that, or is that my best option?

Other contenders include:
    http://www.siig.com/usb-3-0-2-0-hub-with-gigabit-ethernet.html

2. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock let's you hook up your screen, has Ethernet and USB 3.0 ports.

3. tiwizard thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, unfortunately it's $300 and also not available. I'm trying *not* to spend that much ;)

4. Giuly, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Then maybe regular USB 3.0 hub and a nicer USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter with a quality chipset.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes...The only really reliable USB 3 hub I've found is the D-Link...Works fine, but I can't vouch for the Belkin, It came to market after I bought the D-Link.

A separate Ethernet hub would be a better idea.

6. tiwizard thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that was the alternative solution I was thinking about. Maybe I'll just go with that.

7. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Website now says it will be available 3/19/13.

I ordered one the day it was announced, and only received an order confirmation. No other info since then.

Does look to be a clever device.