Usb 3 lightning port when exactly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zellio, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

People told me in the past that you'd need to fully saturate usb 2 speeds to have a use for a usb 3 lightning port. Well since the newest iphone have crazy read write speeds now, where is it? I get over 1000 read and 289 write

2. jonstatt1 macrumors regular

Fair point considering it appears the iPad Pro has exactly that, a USB 3 lightning port....except they bundled it with a USB 2 cable so they could make more money selling USB 3 cables in a few months time ;)

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I suspect this would be a quiet update, no announcement, and it would come in the same packaging and be otherwise indistinguishable. I don't necessarily care about transfer speeds but the extra charge speed when plugging into a USB 3 port on PC would be nice.

4. cynics macrumors G3

One must keep in mind these aren't PCs that all you need to do is snap in a USB3 card and off to the races.

The cost can outweigh the benefits. USB3 requires more room inside the phone, a processor that can utilize it, proper shielding as it can interfere with certain LTE bands (I believe this was one of the reasons the Note 4 went BACK to USB 2), more power, and I'm sure other reasons.

Could you imagine Apple completely designing the phone from the ground up to support a tech they are moving away from (wires)? Even if all it was as simple as just adding it I don't see Apple spending the extra money on it.

I get around 400mbs wireless so I just use that.

image.png

5. lamborghini392 macrumors member

You have to remember the transfer speeds are limited to the speed of the computer's drive (read from HDD, write to iPhone or vise-versa). If you have a SSD then taking advantage of that extra speed might be useful. Also charge speed with a PC is dependent on the USB header, not necessarily the cable. The lightning cable carries 2.1 amps of power from a regular brick to the iPhone's internal charger, so it can definitely carry USB 3.0's 1.5 amps of power.

My guess is USB 3.0 gets ignored by the phone industry, everyone will switch right to USB 3.1 (USB-C). With the MBP getting a single USB-C port (haha terrible right) and other new phones (Nexus series) there is a good chance the iPhone 7 will have it too. USB-C supports speeds up to 10Gbps and would easily be able to supply an iPhone with 2.1 amps of power.