Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Jake0604

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Using a Molex to SATA adapter, can I plug the power cable into the connection in HD bay 4?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
That SATA connector on the backplane is a combo connector (data+power). A normal SATA power to Molex power cable will not attach properly. But if you have the right cable (with a combo connector) it should work.

Obviously you will lose a HDD bay though. Everyone I know who has done this took the extra effort to use the optical bay power so as not to lose drive capacity.

Comment

Jake0604

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
That SATA connector on the backplane is a combo connector (data+power). A normal SATA power to Molex power cable will not attach properly. But if you have the right cable (with a combo connector) it should work.

Obviously you will lose a HDD bay though. Everyone I know who has done this took the extra effort to use the optical bay power so as not to lose drive capacity.

Well I just tried it and it works perfectly, I'm not concerned about losing the HD bay because I already have my SSD mounted in the 2nd optical drive bay.

2kXuT

Comment

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Oh that's great!

I tried mine that came with my card and it didn't work. There was a rectangular protrusion that wouldn't connect with the combo connector on the SATA backplane.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.