Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
You'll all be upgrading to USB 3.1 next year anyway. Same speed as Thunderbolt 1 but carries better power for charging devices.

Well, USB 3.1 has to deliver 100 Watt to external drives. The PCI Express slot can deliver 75 Watt. Means a USB 3.1 card has to be additional powered, like a graphics card.

EdDuPlessis

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2014
Well, USB 3.1 has to deliver 100 Watt to external drives. The PCI Express slot can deliver 75 Watt. Means a USB 3.1 card has to be additional powered, like a graphics card.

That is the maximum, but doesn't mean USB 3.1 add in cards have to reach that number. Most external drives don't need that much.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Caldigit FASTA 6GU Pro card

eSATA 6Gbps Features:

2 x 6 Gbps eSATA ports
2 x 6 Gbps SATA ports (internal)
2 Lane PCI Express 2.0 interface
Compatible with all eSATA devices
Backwards compatible with older eSATA devices
Data transfer speeds up to 600 MB/sec
Supports AHCI 1.0 programming interface
Supports Mac OS X and Windows RAID features
Supports Hot Plugging under Microsoft Windows 7
Supports Bootable function
Supports Port Multiplier(PM). Only one eSATA port can support port multiplier at a time. Port multiplier capabilities will be assigned to the first device that is detected if two are connected.
Supports Hot Plugging under Mac OS X with RAID 0/1/10 devices

USB 3.0 Superspeed Features:

2 x 5 Gbps USB 3.0 ports
Compliant with Extensible Host Controller Interface (xHCI) Specification Revision 1.0
2 downstream USB ports support SS/HS/FS/LS data rates (5 Gbps/480 Mbps/12 Mbps/1.5 Mbps)
1 Lane PCI Express 2.0 interface
Support UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol) under Microsoft Windows 8 & Mac 10.8.4 and above.

I have two of these installed in my system. They work trouble free as advertised.
- USB 3 does not support boot
- Booting from internal connectors on the second card does not appear to work, it faults back to the first card in the system. I have contacted support.

To deal with ejection/remounting issues on USB 3 drives I use the utility Jettison. It's available in the App Store and also useful on my MacBook Pro. I have drives hooked to the Thunderbolt display and often disconnect the system while asleep...

All my sleds are taken up. The FASTA card slots are used by SSDs mounted in a DX4 bracket and powered by its included Y-adapter cable hooked into the main board:

http://www.transintl.com/dx4.html

I am also using an Inateck Superspeed 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card powered by a Y-adapter to the Y-adapter mentioned above - all my slots are taken.

A 960GB ssd on the FASTA card is coupled with a 4TB drive in the standard sleds to form a Fusion drive, which is the main drive of the system. After "settling in," the perceived performance is pretty much equivalent to managing the SSD and 4TB separately via symbols links.

I have tried a Fusion drive with 3 drives (CoreVolume with SSD and 2 4TB drives), but that was not stable and failed on me. Since it takes so long to set up and copy back the 2.5TB currently on my main volume, I decided it was not worth the effort to try again.

Overall, this configuration has been stable for several months with no failures.

Last edited:

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Maybe mention that the Inateck card works fine on Yosemite? But for some reason Inateck is disavowing any Yosemite support on their Amazon pages?

There also seem to be issues at the core of the USB 3.0 stack in Mavericks, where certain devices will randomly decide to disconnect on their own. Don't know if it's a driver issue or chipset issue.

It might have been fixed in Yosemite as I've not seen any random disconnects since upgrading.

I have an Inatek card in my system running 10.10.2 without problems. It does not support boot. I also have to FASTA 6GU Pro cards.

Disconnection is an issue caused by the external drive controller hardware. Mostly, since under Windows USB drives do not stay mounted, these issues are ignored by the vendors.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
I have two of these installed in my system. They work trouble free as advertised.
- USB 3 does not support boot
- Booting from internal connectors on the second card does not appear to work, it faults back to the first card in the system. I have contacted support.

Thanks for your comprehensive replies!

That is why I changed to this card, so I'll be able to backup to/boot fromexternnal HDD enclosure using USB3.0/eSATA from the CalDigit and the hard drive enclosure for 2x 3.5-inch SATA hard drives, Premium compact aluminium design with external ports: 1x FireWire 400, 2x FireWire 800, eSATA, USB-B 3.0.

ICY BOX IB-RD3252-U3SE2 Double RAID Hard Drive Enclosure for PC and Mac / For 2x 3.5-Inch SATA Hard Drives

Very versatile in connections and a robust casing. I do hope the fan is NOT as noisy as I've read for other products, so fingers crossed.

To deal with ejection/remounting issues on USB 3 drives I use the utility Jettison. It's available in the App Store and also useful on my MacBook Pro. I have drives hooked to the Thunderbolt display and often disconnect the system while asleep...

I'm still hesitating to use this app, as for my SSDs on the Velocity DUOx2, are "removable" disk in Mac OS X. Need to read some more about how exactly Jettison works.

I am also using an Inateck Superspeed 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card powered by a Y-adapter to the Y-adapter mentioned above - all my slots are taken.

I got the unpowered KT-4004 version. But no luck here!

A 960GB ssd on the FASTA card is coupled with a 4TB drive in the standard sleds to form a Fusion drive, which is the main drive of the system. After "settling in," the perceived performance is pretty much equivalent to managing the SSD and 4TB separately via symbols links.

I have tried a Fusion drive with 3 drives (CoreVolume with SSD and 2 4TB drives), but that was not stable and failed on me. Since it takes so long to set up and copy back the 2.5TB currently on my main volume, I decided it was not worth the effort to try again.

Overall, this configuration has been stable for several months with no failures.

I never had the experience setting up a fusion drive. I'm just a SSD guy:D

Cheers

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I would think not. You just have to get a card designed to do that. I don't know what the power requirements are for the devices you listed but have a look at the Sonnet Allegro card for Mac. It's known for it's charging power and compatibility.
I love your zeal for being the expect on USB 3.0 on a Mac Pro! Thank you for that.

How would you compare the HighPoint RocketU 1144C to the Sonnet Allegro?

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I love your zeal for being the expect on USB 3.0 on a Mac Pro! Thank you for that.

How would you compare the HighPoint RocketU 1144C to the Sonnet Allegro?

I can't directly compare them because I haven't yet tried the Sonnet card. However, based on actual reports from others who do have this card, I'd say it's a good buy.

To my knowledge, only the RocketU 1144 models provide an individual controller per port. That one feature sets it apart from all other USB 3.0 cards.

Given the absence of an 1144C, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the Sonnet. Given the choice of either, I would go with the 1144C.

If money were an issue, I would fallback on the Inateck KT4004. I only know of one user in recent memory that had issues with the Inateck, but I suspect it was a faulty card or particular hardware/software configuration that caused the issue.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Actually I can't count you TOO. You are the one in recent memory I was referring to. :)

Thought so! :D

Solution in progress... Removed the KT-4004 and no more extra bootlags. A total restart now takes about 40s to complete to desktop. But that said, I have to make sure what the issue is before blaming a single PCIe card for it.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
What is the state of USB 3.0 on Mac Pro?

I just want to report back that the issue (in my MP with my hardware configuration) has been resolved and that the CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 Pro eSATA 6G and USB 3.0 Combo Card for Mac/PC is the #1 for me.

No more bootlags and no more freezed-up bootscreens!

Perhaps the KT-4004 and my other hardware has not been a joyful combo!

Cheers

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I just want to report back that the issue (in my MP with my hardware configuration) has been resolved and that the CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 Pro eSATA 6G and USB 3.0 Combo Card for Mac/PC is the #1 for me.

Cheers

That's great news, I suspect it was a conflict. I wish you had an 1144c to test in your config. to see how that works too.:)

It just goes to show that what works for one, may not work for all. It's no different in the PC world, but people seem to make more out of it in the Mac world.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014

Cheers

Hi BDM. Could you provide some more details on how the FASTA card works better than the KT-4004 (for USB 3.0)? Does it work as well or better with HUBs, external drivers ejecting? Does it seem to work any faster in mounting things, or in throughput to drives? Thanks, really appreciate the comparison from someone thats used both cards!

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands

Hi BDM. Could you provide some more details on how the FASTA card works better than the KT-4004 (for USB 3.0)? Does it work as well or better with HUBs, external drivers ejecting? Does it seem to work any faster in mounting things, or in throughput to drives? Thanks, really appreciate the comparison from someone thats used both cards!

Fair questions that I would love to answer for you of course . Tomorrow (Dutchie-time) I'll be reviewing some more tests with the FASTA. The most 'important' issue I can share with you right now, is that this card eliminated the bootlags, that I experienced with the KT-4004 i.c.m. with the rest of my hardware.

Cheers & keep you posted.

Last edited:

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014

Maybe this helps:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20449513#post20449513

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18856622#post18856622

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
Just got the Inateck KT4004. Plugging in a USB 3.0 thumbdrive all but shuts down my bluetooth magic mouse. Strange thing is my bluetooth magic trackpad works fine even when it is further away.

Does anyone know if the newer magic mice are any better at overcoming the USB 3.0 interference?

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014

Thanks Synchro. You're earlier post was really helpful. I guess I want to really remove all doubt on compatibility.

Namely that the FASTA works as well if not better with all USB hubs devices and is no more likely or no more prone to drive ejections than the KT-4004 with regard to USB 3.0 operations.

It seems that may be the case, but KT4004 has been working so well, with so little drama, that I want to get a little more confirmation before I make the move .

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Just got the Inateck KT4004. Plugging in a USB 3.0 thumbdrive all but shuts down my bluetooth magic mouse. Strange thing is my bluetooth magic trackpad works fine even when it is further away.

Does anyone know if the newer magic mice are any better at overcoming the USB 3.0 interference?

I have this issue and I found it affects bluetooth devices connected via the MP's internal bluetooth. I don't think I've tested the Magic Mouse but my Magic Trackpad is definitely affected. I bought a nice inexpensive Logitech and plugged the receiver into USB and it works fine. I keep the Trackpad because I use it for side scrolling in Final Cut, etc.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands

Hi, sorry for my late reply!

I did not feel the need to trouble shoot the KT-4004 and/or do extensive further benchmarking, because the XTREME boot lags were a very big no-go for me. Now with the CalDigit FASTA PRO all that is now resolved.

- fast upcoming bootscreen using [alt] key for this is my main why to choose bootdisks!

- no more lags/freeze after selecting boot disk

- external USB drives are ejected when, sleeping but are remounted upon wake. Now using the JettiSon app ($4.95) and tweaked the app to eject externals before sleep/restart/shutdown and remounts externals. Starts up during log-in, so a no-brainer. Using [cmd]+E to manual put Mac Pro to sleep. I don't use the auto-sleep function.

- last but not least, I now have the eSATA to boot my CCC clones.

FASTA PRO with [UASP | SATA III | USB 3.0] Inateck USB 3.0 Hard Drives Docking Station @ 1 SSD 840 EVO in dock.

caldigit_usb3_intateck_dock.jpg

FASTA PRO with Icybox-IB-121CL-U3-Docking-Clone-Station @ 2 SSD 840 EVO RAID0 in dock.

FASTPRO_USB3_840EVO_RAID0.jpg

Can anybody confirm that the speed difference is caused by the UASP on the Inateck docking station?

NOTE: as @crjackson2134 already mentioned, all comes down to the total combi of hardware, as the KT-4004 works well for most users.

Heads up and therefore off-topic: Next week I'm receiving my second Velocity DUOx2 so testing 4 SSD RAID0 and let's see how that new PCIe config wil hold, keep you posted.

Cheers, enjoy your tweakend! ;)

Last edited:

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
My final shootout testdrive for CalDigit FASTA6PRO

My final shootout testdrive:

StarTech USB 3.0 / eSATA to 2.5 / 3.5” SATA HDD / SSD Duplicator Dock – Standalone Hard Drive Cloner – SATA 6Gbps ~ SDOCK2U33RE

2x 840 EVO RAID0

USB 3.0

FASTA6PRO_usb3_840EVO_raid0_startech.jpg

sSATA

FASTA6PRO_sSATA_840EVO_raid0_startech.jpg

EDIT: Any thoughts about the spikes in the charts?

The StarTech is - for now - a definite to-keep for me and forms a great combo with the CalDigit FASTA6PRO! I choose this model for the boot capability on the Mac Pro. The offline disk-duper is a bonus! :cool:

Cheers...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.