Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
If you apply the usb power kext

did you install the KEXT allowing the higher power output to be recognized?

I didn't know I had to do that. RTFM! Thanks for the link.

I know a direct connection would probably work, but for usability and aesthetic purposes it is far more preferable to me if I can plug the iPad into the hub.

I'll try the KEXT tonight.

Question: I don't see a Windows version of this high power driver. Does the high power mode work automatically in Windows, or is it not available at all?

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
I installed this card yesterday. Although Sonnet specifically mentions that it will charge iPads...

...this desirable functionality does not make it through my powered Delock USB 3.0 hub. Plugging in a single iPad, I get the "not charging" message.

This is too bad; I specifically bought a high-end hub which uses a 4AMP power supply and the Sonnet USB card on the assumption that they could charge a single iPad. The iPad's charger is I believe 2.1AMP.
If the iPad won't charge when plugged into the hub then it's the hub that's at fault not the USB interface that it's plugged into. There is no 'pass through' of power from the USB interface.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
If the iPad won't charge when plugged into the hub then it's the hub that's at fault not the USB interface that it's plugged into. There is no 'pass through' of power from the USB interface.

Understood, thanks.

I suspected as much, but there's a short history here. I've been using the Inateck card for a while now, but I wanted simultaneous data & charging for the iPad like I can do with the iPhone. I've tried two different USB 3.0 hubs, both with more than large enough power adapters. I could sync, but could not get the iPad to charge.

Trying two different hubs seemed to me to rule out the hub as being the problem, so it seemed logical to ensure the other part of the USB chain, the card, was also powerful enough to charge the iPad. So I upgraded from the Inateck to the Sonnet.

But it's still not charging. So I'm starting to think that simultaneous iPad charging and data are not possible, in part because I see lots of USB 3.0 hubs with dedicated charge ports that do not connect to power. But that doesn't really make any sense because the USB 3.0 specification allows for enough power to charge an iPad in the first place.

So I don't really know what's going on. But I've spent too much time and money on this already so unless the KEXT magically fixes the problem, I'll just have to charge separately or run some kind of extension cord directly from the card--something that I was trying to avoid because hub charging+data seems like it should be possible.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Understood, thanks.

I suspected as much, but there's a short history here. I've been using the Inateck card for a while now, but I wanted simultaneous data & charging for the iPad like I can do with the iPhone. I've tried two different USB 3.0 hubs, both with more than large enough power adapters. I could sync, but could not get the iPad to charge.

Trying two different hubs seemed to me to rule out the hub as being the problem, so it seemed logical to ensure the other part of the USB chain, the card, was also powerful enough to charge the iPad. So I upgraded from the Inateck to the Sonnet.

But it's still not charging. So I'm starting to think that simultaneous iPad charging and data are not possible, in part because I see lots of USB 3.0 hubs with dedicated charge ports that do not connect to power. But that doesn't really make any sense because the USB 3.0 specification allows for enough power to charge an iPad in the first place.

So I don't really know what's going on. But I've spent too much time and money on this already so unless the KEXT magically fixes the problem, I'll just have to charge separately or run some kind of extension cord directly from the card--something that I was trying to avoid because hub charging+data seems like it should be possible.

Have you tried the kext to see? I don't have one of these cards in hand to test for myself but I wonder. I'll hook my iPad up to the RocketU and see if it's the same store there too (I suspect it is).

UPDATE:

Okay, so I tried it on 2 different USB 3.0 cards, and a powered HUB. I get the same result as you in all instances. I cannot charge and get data at the same time. In fact, I can't charge at all unless connected to the iPad charger.

Last edited:

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
Note that my iPad Mini 2 charges from the USB 2.0 ports on the front of my Mac.

Without the Sonnet kext installed, my USB 3.0 card (the 2-port external, 2-port internal Inateck from Amazon) won't charge my iPad Mini. With the kext installed and rebooted, it still doesn't.

I'm assuming that it's a Sonnet-specific feature?

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm assuming that it's a Sonnet-specific feature?

That is a sonnet only kext. Has nothing to do with any other card as far as I know.

USB 2.0 ports of my MP won't charge my iPad Air 2. Phones and other devices charge just fine on ANY of my USB ports (MP native ports, Inateck ports, 1144c ports, USB Hub ports).

----------

No, I no longer own an iPad, hated the darn thing. I replaced it with an MBA.

Lou

Yeah, charging phones are no problem, iPads on the other hand require MUCH more power.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Not yet.

Well, that's the whole problem. I can charge and sync the iPhone on any USB port too, but my frustration is that I cannot do the same with my iPad, even if the hub has far more than enough power to do so.

When you get time to test it let me know. Also if you don't mind, would you test the thing to make sure full sleep mode (pulsating power light) works before/after the kext is installed. If it does, I'll probably get one of these also (to replace the Inateck! I run 2 USB cards).

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2005
I just switched from an Inateck to a RocketU 1144C. The Inateck kept disconnecting constantly. RocketU so far no problems. This is on a 2009 Mac Pro and I hooked up a 4 drive external hard drive enclosure for some Carbon Copy fun.

Hope the RocketU is as reliable as it seems on day 1.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I just switched from an Inateck to a RocketU 1144C. The Inateck kept disconnecting constantly. RocketU so far no problems. This is on a 2009 Mac Pro and I hooked up a 4 drive external hard drive enclosure for some Carbon Copy fun.

Hope the RocketU is as reliable as it seems on day 1.

It has been very reliable for me. I hope it works out well for you.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
anyone ever get any usb 3.0 cables to work? anything over 3ft on a alurtek mac pro card disconnects when transferring big files? have tried a 6ft cable matters and amazon usb 3.0 6ft extender with no luck...tried on a passport 2tb and one ac powered seagate 4tb hard drive and both disconnected.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
anyone ever get any usb 3.0 cables to work? anything over 3ft on a alurtek mac pro card disconnects when transferring big files? have tried a 6ft cable matters and amazon usb 3.0 6ft extender with no luck...tried on a passport 2tb and one ac powered seagate 4tb hard drive and both disconnected.

All of my USB 3.0 cables work for large transfers. This is true of both bus-powered and AC-powered drives. I just use the cables that came with the drives.

Perhaps it is your Alurtek card and not the cables? I think some people reported problems transferring large amounts of data when using some of the Orico cards mentioned in the middle of this thread.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
All of my USB 3.0 cables work for large transfers. This is true of both bus-powered and AC-powered drives. I just use the cables that came with the drives.

Perhaps it is your Alurtek card and not the cables? I think some people reported problems transferring large amounts of data when using some of the Orico cards mentioned in the middle of this thread.

my bad, its a inatek not alurtek....i have the mac pro inatek silver card with the red pcb...and all my drives disconnect with anything over 3ft of usb extension...is the inatek card the one you use mango?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
my bad, its a inatek not alurtek....i have the mac pro inatek silver card with the red pcb...and all my drives disconnect with anything over 3ft of usb extension...is the inatek card the one you use mango?

Originally I tried a bunch of cards, but settled on the Orico as an inexpensive power-cable-free card. But I did eventually switch to the Inateck as I wanted to use bus-powered drives for backups.

So I did use the Inateck for quite a while with bus-powered and AC powered drives. In that time I did many backups, including small incremental backups and copy-the-whole-drive backups that involved 1-2 terabytes of data each time. It's all been fine.

I don't use any USB extension cords, I just use the cords that came with the drives. One of them I think is maybe 2-3 feet and the other two are 5-6 feet.

I just now switched to the Sonnet, not because anything was wrong with the Inateck, but mostly due to the promise of iPad charging.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Same experience here. Never had any issues regarding disconnects. At times I transfer 4GB at a time and never have an issue. I have 2 drives connected with very long (over 36") cables and never a drop off. I've never used a buss powered drive on a long cable however, those are connected with the supplied cabling.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
When you get time to test it let me know. Also if you don't mind, would you test the thing to make sure full sleep mode (pulsating power light) works before/after the kext is installed. If it does, I'll probably get one of these also (to replace the Inateck! I run 2 USB cards).

So I haven't done any tests yet, largely because something unexpected happened. I swapped cables, and now I can charge from any port including the built-in USB 2.0 ports and the Sonnet's USB 3.0 ports.

Normally I would have tried a different cable right off the bat, but the cable I was using before charges the iPad just fine from an AC-to-USB charger--if it works for that, I have no idea why it won't charge from a USB port with data. But there must be some difference.

Anyway, I haven't installed the KEXT yet, so if it charges fine now, without the KEXT, I wonder what exactly the KEXT is needed for? To charge it even faster?

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
So I haven't done any tests yet, largely because something unexpected happened. I swapped cables, and now I can charge from any port including the built-in USB 2.0 ports and the Sonnet's USB 3.0 ports.

Normally I would have tried a different cable right off the bat, but the cable I was using before charges the iPad just fine from an AC-to-USB charger--if it works for that, I have no idea why it won't charge from a USB port with data. But there must be some difference.

Anyway, I haven't installed the KEXT yet, so if it charges fine now, without the KEXT, I wonder what exactly the KEXT is needed for? To charge it even faster?

Good question. Can you point me to the provider of that cable? I'd like to buy a couple of them myself.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Good question. Can you point me to the provider of that cable? I'd like to buy a couple of them myself.

Yes, I get all this on Amazon so I can check my order history.

This is the one that works charging from any port, including front ports and Sonnet ports:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IFVTQLK/

This is the one that works from from AC-based USB charger, but NOT from computer-based USB ports. It's just for reference, I'm not recommending it for obvious reasons. Note it says that it is MFI-certified (Apple approved and licensed).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3LU1FG/

To be clear, my experiences are with an "iPad Mini 2". I don't know how charging requirements compare to other models.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Wow, I was expecting a very thick shielded cable rather than a retractable. That's very surprising.

I was actually a little embarrassed to link to them. :)

In my defense, I am trying to reduce the cable mess in my desk drawer and car, and while retractable cables may look really ghetto, they sure tidy up when not in use.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I was actually a little embarrassed to link to them. :)

In my defense, I am trying to reduce the cable mess in my desk drawer and car, and while retractable cables may look really ghetto, they sure tidy up when not in use.

I'm just surprised that the thicker sturdier looking cable choked and the thin little dongle gave it a big smack down. It's great that it does what you need. I may order one myself for the same reason.

You know, I "THINK" the lightning cable has circuitry inside. It could be the difference in circuitry rather than the actual cable (if my "Thinking" is correct).

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
Also don't forget there could be materials science involved.. one cable may be sourced with better conducting wire made with different metals. Not all metals conduct electricity equally..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.