Usb 3

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yodermk, Jun 29, 2009.

1. yodermk macrumors member

I'm looking to get an iMac next year. (Know the old advice of "buy one when you need it.") I don't need one now and definitely want to wait for Nehalem.

But what about USB 3? I suspect it will be impossible to add it to iMacs that don't have it, and it may be important for a computer that is to last 5 years.

Of course, USB 2 is good enough for just about everything, and there's FireWire for other things. But USB 3 may be enough of a standard to make it worth having. Within the computer's lifetime I may well want to import video from future HD cameras. Will USB 3 be required for that?

Also, any recent word on when USB 3 controllers will be ready? I was thinking early next year but not sure if that has changed.

I'm going on the assumption that the next iMac will have Nehalem + USB 2, and the following one will add USB 3. I can *probably* wait that long. Just looking for opinions on the advantages of doing so.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Unless Apple switches back to the Intel chipset, it'll likely wait until Nvidia adds it to the chipset Apple is using.

Apple could add it anytime the PCIe-to-USB3 bridge chips appear, but based on past history -- Apple doesn't extend the chipsets until they get long in the tooth.

In reality, any machine that uses the mini-PCIe card for wireless could be upgraded if someone offers a USB3 upgrade in that format.

3. yodermk thread starter macrumors member

But would it take nVidia much longer to add it than it would take Intel? I figure that once it is released, most new computers should have it pretty quick.