USB A/A cable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Karpfish, May 29, 2008.

1. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

So I have a 1TB Buffalo NAS but for some reason file trasfers are painfully slow over ethernet. My model has a full size(type A) USB port in addition to the ethernet port, however it did not come with a USB cable. I am trying to hook it directly up to my MBP so I can keep my transfer times down. I have looked all over and I can't find a cable with 2 full size USB ends anywhere! Does anyone know where to find one? If not, is there a way to connect the drive directly to my MBP via ethernet, meaning plug an ethernet cable into the drive and the other end of that cable into the ethernet port on my MBP rather than over the network>

2. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

3. Karpfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

Those are all A/B, like a printer cable, I need A/A meaning 2 ends that could fit into my MBP.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

IIRC it's an "A" port because it is only for hosting external drives or printers. Not for hooking directly to a computer. Check your user manuals.

5. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

You didn't read what I said. Go scroll down on the page, you'll see them... they're there.

@Canadaram - I use one with my mini HHD enclosure - this is where I got mine as well.

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The USB on your Buffalo NAS is for connecting extra hard drives and also printers on certain models. It isn't for connecting to your computer, though Lacie do make a NAS that also works as a USB drive.

Attached Files:

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

USB cables have a limit of 15'. Beyond that length, you probably need a USB repeater.

In addition, as others mentioned, if it's not A to B, chances are extremely high that it won't work. (That's why they design it A to B so people unfamiliar with USB won't be able to connect A to A or B to B).

Let me guess, you're transferring at 100mbit. To get gagabit ethernet speed, you need

- gigabit ethernet on both devices
    - cat 5e or cat6 cable
    - gigabit ethernet switch

9. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Your MBP supports Gbit (10/100/1000 transfers. Does the Buffalo NAS support this speed or is it 10/100? Also are you going thru a router and if so, does the port you are connecting to support 10/100/1000?

If you are doing large file transfers thru a 100Mbit connection, yes they will be painfully slow. The network will only operate at the slowest speed device connected, so if your NAS supports Gbit and your Mac supports GBit, but your router's ethernet ports only support MBit, your network will only support MBit unless you add a GBit switch to your network with both your Mac and NAS connected to it and the switch connected to your router (you will bypass your router in this way doing your file transfers and they will be much faster).