USB-a on Imac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by twssas, Dec 22, 2016.

1. twssas macrumors newbie

Wanting to buy a current Imac now which has USB-a

My hesitation is in looking way ahead in the future, and lets say I purchase a new maching now (which I would like to), which will havea USB-a port, and then lets say I get a iphone 8 which maybe will have a USB-c plug, or a future Ipad with a c plug, then what?

I have been scouring the internet last couple of days, trying to see if there was such a thing as a male a plug transistion to a c plug female. I did find a couple, but the discussing was that USB-c protocol will not accept such a routing c to a to machine, and perhaps if using it could damage components of the computer.

I hope this is clear as mud. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks!

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

You can buy USB-A to USB-C cables to allow you to connect USB-C devices to your USB-A equipped iMac.

3. twssas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I looked at that, and found a couple listed on amazon, but there was one very lengthy review, that explained that USB-c protocol would not allow the flow from the usb-c to a usb-a, plus, potential damage to your components.

I may be reading too much into this, but am I missing something?

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

A poorly designed cable can indeed cause physical damage to your components.

Benson Leung is a software engineer who does extensive physical and electrical testing of USB-C cables (USB-C to USB-C and USB-C to legacy USB standards) on Amazon to see how well they conform (or don't) to the USB standards. I only buy cables he has recommended as I know they are safe.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A25GROL6KJV3QG/ref=cm_cr_rdp_pdp