usb a to usb c transfer speeds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattburley7, Nov 4, 2016.

1. mattburley7 macrumors 68030

does anyone here know the difference in transfer speeds using usb c over usb a?

an example would be that i take my external hard drive that is usb A and plug it into my usb C adapter? what would the transfer speeds be for this? any difference then if it was plugged into just a regular USB slot instead of the usb C port.

2. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

3. mattburley7 thread starter macrumors 68030

USB 3.0

4. Macalway, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016

Macalway macrumors 68020

USB 3 speed.

USB-C (with the Macbook) is just a connector standard. You have a USB 3 drive, I works like a USB 3 drive (or device). You have a thunderbolt drive or device, it works like thunderbolt. You have power, it works like an ac adapter,
    Ethernet, same thing.

Nifty, but it's gonna be buggy me thinks

5. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

As far as I am aware you will get the same speeds you would get connecting it to a USB 3 port as it's backwards compatible.

6. mattburley7 thread starter macrumors 68030

ah so if i want faster speeds i need to get a external hard drive that is USB C or thunderbolt
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2016 ---
    now if i could find one that isnt so expensive...

7. jerryk macrumors 68040

Your gating factor is the slowest piece. So if you are talking about a rotation drive, the drive is the slowest piece. If you are talking about a high end SSD, the interface can be the slowest piece, and a faster interfaces like USB 3.0, and even better, USB 3.1 which USB-C supports can help.

Think of it as plumbing. Little pressure, slow flow. Narrow pipe, slow flow.

8. Macalway macrumors 68020

Yes all you need is a USB 3 drive. You can't get anything faster, and it's also cost effective. You then use a USB to USB-C adapter. If the adapter is an Apple adapter it will be fine, if it's another brand adapter, makes sure it's a USB 3 to USB-C adapter

Do NOT overspend. SSD drives (and spinners) are cheap, and with the cost of these notebooks, it's a relief.

9. MareLuce macrumors 6502

Interesting.

USB-C = USB-Chameleon

10. Rigby macrumors 601

The standard USB connectors (type A and B) can carry USB 3.1 gen 2 as well, which is the highest currently supported USB speed (10 Gbps). So it doesn't necessarily require a USB-C connector. So you should look at the interface spec rather than the connector (which doesn't really matter much for a mobile drive that requires a cable anyway).

Thunderbolt 3 is potentially much faster that just USB 3.1, but TB3 devices also require more complex electronics and will thus also be more expensive and niche (just like Thunderbolt 2 devices were)