Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lizziejh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
UK
I would like to extend my usb options - I only have two usb ports on my MacBook, and need three. Looking for recommendations please for an adapter. One that won't interfere with my blue tooth mouse etc. Thanks

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Which MacBook Pro do you have? Do you need USB-A or USB-C outs?

meboy

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2012
Assuming you mean usb c???
I have two different ones. Both usb 3.1 spec. They suck. Almost always not registering the usb drive unless I plug in the adapter first and then slowly plug the usb drive into that.
Stupid..... usb c...
Try and find a usb c to displayport cable. Almost don't exist. Apple doesn't offer anything.
At this rate we're at least 5 (maybe even 10) years off from not living in dongle hell.

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
There's a thread about this stickied somewhere. I can't link on my phone, but you can search for it. It's all about dongles.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Assuming you mean usb c???
I have two different ones. Both usb 3.1 spec. They suck. Almost always not registering the usb drive unless I plug in the adapter first and then slowly plug the usb drive into that.
Stupid..... usb c...
Try and find a usb c to displayport cable. Almost don't exist. Apple doesn't offer anything.
At this rate we're at least 5 (maybe even 10) years off from not living in dongle hell.

This was the first item on a Google search https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-DisplayPort-1-8m-Chromebook-Thunderbolt/dp/B01EXKDRAC

Have you tried Google? USB-C can be converted to pretty much anything so there's hundreds of cables if you search for them. I don't think 5-10 years of 'dongle hell' is quite accurate, and indeed an exaggeration of a none-issue, seeing as we've used 'dongles' now for the last 5-10 years, did you not have a DVI-HDMI cable, or a USB-A-USB-B cable at any time??

Lizziejh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
UK
Which MacBook Pro do you have? Do you need USB-A or USB-C outs?
Its a MacBook Pro 13 512 gb and I don't know if I need a or c. I have a blue tooth mouse using one port, and I only have one other.
[doublepost=1500022798][/doublepost]
This was the first item on a Google search https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-DisplayPort-1-8m-Chromebook-Thunderbolt/dp/B01EXKDRAC

Have you tried Google? USB-C can be converted to pretty much anything so there's hundreds of cables if you search for them. I don't think 5-10 years of 'dongle hell' is quite accurate, and indeed an exaggeration of a none-issue, seeing as we've used 'dongles' now for the last 5-10 years, did you not have a DVI-HDMI cable, or a USB-A-USB-B cable at any time??
I have no idea what USB C is. Can you please explain.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Its a MacBook Pro 13 512 gb and I don't know if I need a or c. I have a blue tooth mouse using one port, and I only have one other.

So you know you need 3 ports but you don't know which you need? I'm confused. The ports on the computer are USB-C, if the thing you are trying to plug in is USB-C then you're okay, if you need to plug in more things then you need a hub with multiple ports. There's millions out there on Amazon, just google 'USB-C Hub'.

USB-C is USB-C, it's a port, the thing on the side of the computer that you plug stuff into. I find it hard to believe someone doesn't understand that, have you never owned a computer before?

Lizziejh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
UK
I will try to explain. I have two usb ports on the MacBook. I plug in a blue tooth mouse adapter in one, which leaves me with one usb port. I need at least another one, therefore I would like to plug a usb adapter/hub into the one usb port I have spare to give me an extra two or more usb ports on my mac.

I understand computers thanks. I have had them for many years. I just don't understand everything, who does? But I would thank you not to be nasty, I'm asking on what I thought was a friendly forum.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I will try to explain. I have two usb ports on the MacBook. I plug in a blue tooth mouse adapter in one, which leaves me with one usb port. I need at least another one, therefore I would like to plug a usb adapter/hub into the one usb port I have spare to give me an extra two or more usb ports on my mac.

I understand computers thanks. I have had them for many years. I just don't understand everything, who does? But I would thank you not to be nasty, I'm asking on what I thought was a friendly forum.

But you're saying you need to plug in a usb hub, so buy a usb hub. I just don't understand what the question is. And that's not being nasty, you said you don't know what USB-C is, I just find it hard to believe someone would spend so much on a computer without looking at a review. Any review will note the USB-C interface, and google search would tell you what USB-C is.

If you need a HDMI port, then buy an HDMI cable, if you need a USB port, then buy a USB cable. It just isn't rocket science.

So you said you needed USB ports, I first posted a link for you for those USB ports, then you said you needed 3 but didn't know which you needed. If you need 3 of something, then you should already know why 3 you need as you'll have them likely nearby. Are they USB-A? Then you need a USB-A port again...

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017

What year is your MacBook Pro? Click on the Apple icon in the upper left hand corner and click ABOUT THIS MAC. It will tell you the year (for example, EARLY 2011) :)

USB-A is to the left; USB-C the right
610rUd8sAGL._SX425_.jpg

Reactions: Lizziejh

Lizziejh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
UK
Thank you, that is very helpful to me.

What year is your MacBook Pro? Click on the Apple icon in the upper left hand corner and click ABOUT THIS MAC. It will tell you the year (for example, EARLY 2011) :)

USB-A is to the left; USB-C the right
610rUd8sAGL._SX425_.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.