USB Adapters

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
I've got two cheap £6 USB A to C adapters from Maplin (RIP Maplin stores) ..

They're slow. I don't think Apples would be much of an improvement though, they're using a USB connection.

But, are there any higher quality ones that would not bottleneck and allow as much of the Thunderbolt 3 (not USB C) bandwidth as possible. I'm aware USB A itself will have limits. Or am I already experiencing the fastest speeds with these accessories? (USB drives, hard drives for Time Machine).

And same for Ethernet. I've got a cheap eBay adapter, is it bottlenecking fast LAN connections I have at work / uni / home where I've got great speeds

mroy16

macrumors regular
May 28, 2017
How do you know the adapter is the problem? What device are you connecting to your laptop? Are you sure that the device isn't the bottleneck?

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
How do you know the adapter is the problem? What device are you connecting to your laptop? Are you sure that the device isn't the bottleneck?
It's a cheap enough but recent Seagate 1TB external usb hard drive, USB 3.0 speeds

mroy16

macrumors regular
May 28, 2017
Hard drives are always going to be slow, even if they have USB 3.0 connections.

Stephen.R

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
USB A to C adapters from Maplin
Can you post a model number or better yet, a link to their specs/sales page?

They're slow.
How slow?

same for Ethernet. I've got a cheap eBay adapter,
Same questions as above.

I'm aware USB A itself will have limits.
USB type-A is just a connector like type-C. A type-A port can carry 10Gbps the same as a type-C port can, what it can't do is alternate mode for things like Thunderbolt, DisplayPort, etc.